We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
48 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Having booked the flights for end July all I need now is a great hotel in HK for my wife, myself and 13 year old son.

Want somewhere which is reasonable cost (not 5 star rates - Ive a long way to go before end of holiday) but gives great views of harbour (something to really remember the trip by) and good location for visit - HK or Kowloon side. Someone said Island Pacific Hotel for example.

Any help much appreciated. Same also for Singapore on return leg.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

My vote for "reasonable" cost in Hong Kong is the Harbourview International House (get a harbourview room). The room will be tight for three (they will bring in a cot for your son) but stick the cot by the window and he'll have the best view in the house.

For why I like the YMCA Harbourview, read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k157…

Similarly, for reasonable cost in a good location in Singapore, I would recommend the Strand; huge rooms and close to all manner of transit. Read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…2170266

For transportation around Singapore, check out this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…2071265

Both the Strand in Singapore and the Harbourview International House in Hong Kong are first rate tourist or business class hotels with marble lobbies etc. I don't think you can beat them for price and location but I know others have their own favourites.

You might also wish to check the reviews for any hotel you are considering the in the hotels tab at the top of the page.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
48 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Thanks Rob. I will look into these - although my 13 year old wouldnt like the cot (made me smile anyway)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Well, I have to tell you I used the cot in May last year and it was really very comfortable! It It was really a first class cot much more like a full bed with box and mattress than a thin slab of foam on bad springs. Your 13 year old would be fine (unless he's a "royal prince"!)

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
48 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Thx Rob. Have to say Ive found this site so useful and everyone helpful like your kind self.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

I think there is a bit of a language barrier here. In England, Australia etc a 'cot' is what a baby sleeps in probably what american/canadians refer to as a 'crib' which is probably why heartbeat said his son wouldnt like the cot which in our terms would be a roll out bed. Cheers Catherine

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

I definitely slept on a roll-out and not a crib!

Astute observation about the language.

NY
Level Contributor
250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

We stayed at the Salisbury YMCA and had a spectacular harbor view suite. It's a great location just a 5 min walk from the Star Ferry. We paid $121/nt for a standard room and got bumped up to the suite so I don't know what you would have to pay to insure the view.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great hotel , great views, super value/price

Kowloon Shangri La. Great views, great rooms of excellent size (we had 3 double beds), a bathroom to kill for and a central location without being in the middle of Mody Rd. It's 5 star but the airlines get deals with this property.

Mentioned in this post
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong...
3,877 Reviews
Hong Kong, China