We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time to airport

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time to airport

My friends will be staying in a hotel on Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui and need to catch an international flight at 9 am. on a wednesday, what is the travel time by taxi to airport and what should be the latest time they need to leave the hotel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,343 posts
5,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time to airport

Best to ask the hotel directly as they will have the best information regarding your query. However, this early in the morning traffic will probably be very light. Here are a couple options but I'd still suggest consulting with the hotel

1.) Be safe and leave hotel by 6am by taxi, arrive around 6.30, maybe earlier, as traffic will be light this early. - Est. travel time around 30 minutes

Or

2.) Be a bit less safe, leave at 6.30am by taxi, probably arrive at 7.00am or shortly after as traffic will still be light this early on. This still leaves plenty of time to check in, clear passport control and find your gate. Est. travel time around 30-35 minutes

I wouldn't suggest leaving any later than 6.30 as any traffic problems would cause you problems.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time to airport

for a 9.00 am flight you need to be at the airport by 7.30 maybe 7.45.

I would suggest that you book a cab for 7.00 am to take you the the Airport Express station in Kowloon and then get on the train to the airport - travel time on the train, about 20 mins

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time to airport

Latest I would leave would be 6.30 am. It's always better to have time for a coffee than be stressed out.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time to airport

Thanks all for the responses. So it is around 30 minutes or so without traffic. They will probably just take a taxi because there will be four of them with luggage, and one is a senior citizen with mobility issues.

Somehow I thought the airport is very far away and may take way longer than an hour. I have no idea where I got that idea, LOL. May be I confused Hong Kong with Tokyo.

I like the suggestions to arrive at the airport earlier, relax and have coffee. I hope they have reasonably priced and yummy breakfast options.

Thanks.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time to airport

Another option will be to hire a taxi to the Airport Express Kowloon Station and take the train to the airport. Check-in is available for most airlines at the Station. Upon arrival at the airport, just proceed directly to security and immigration.

mtr.com.hk/eng/…airport_express_index.html

Wi-Fi is available on the train. There is a train every 12 minutes and the journey takes about 21 minutes. Single fare HK$90.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time to airport

Isnt that what I suggested in post #2 Teddy ?

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time to airport

Yes, I provided additional helpful information to the OP but you did not provide such as a link to the Airport Express web site, the frequency of the train, check-in is available at the Kowloon Station for most airlines, the fare and therefore represents a cost effective and efficient alternative which I thought would be helpful to the OP and others browsing this site for information.

Edited: 7:29 am, March 27, 2011
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time to airport

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions. The Airport Express Train option is very good to know, but probably not the best option for my friends' particular situation this time.

Here is my calculation: They have 4 people so that train fares will total to $360, plus the short ride taxi fare which should be minimal. The taxi fare straight from the hotel to the airport is probably slightly less than that, I hope. As one of them have mobility issues, the transfer from the taxi to the train is one more transfer that they may want to avoid.

On the other hand, the Airport Express Train option should be an excellent option for a couple or a single traveler. I also did not realize the airport express train Kowloon station is so close to Tsim Sha Tsui and the ride to the airport is so short. This is very helpful information when I visit Hong Kong.

Thanks again.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time to airport

Group tickets for the Airport Express are available and for 4 people travelling together to the airport from Kowloon Station the fare is HK$220.

Taxi fare from Tsim Sha Tsui to the airport is only about HK$225 plus HK$5 for each item of luggage in the boot.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time to airport

Four people plus a full set of luggage each i.e. 1 suitcase and a carry-on perhaps, might make for a cramped ride to the airport.