We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning from the peak at night

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Returning from the peak at night

Having visited Hong Kong last year with my husband as a stopover we only saw the Peak during our 1/2 day tour of Hong Kong, I am returning in May with a girlfriend and would like to see the Peak at night

We are staying at the New World Renaissance at Kowloon and I know we can walk and catch the star ferry over to central but once there which bus do we get to take us to the bottom of the tram as we would like to go up in the tram in the late afternoon and see the lights come on, what is the best time to go in May and when we want to return, how much would a taxi cost or otherwise what bus would we get to take us back to central and then catch the ferry back, we dont want to come back down on the tram

thanks

Abbey

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Returning from the peak at night

SOS Teddybtraveller,

It's our first time in Macau and HK and new also to this website.

Can you help us by suggesting a covenient and affordable hotel in HK and Macau? Shoe-string budget! Can you also suggest a local tour organiser for both places as well as Shenzen? Priority - The Peak, Disneyland and St. Paul's Cathedral. From March 1-5.

Thanks

Juliana

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,587 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Returning from the peak at night

Madu - you are better off to start a new topic than "tagging" onto this one. You are also better off to post your Macau enquiry in the Macau forum. In any case, I have previously recommended the official web site of the Hong Kong Tourism Board - www.discoverhongkong.com, and you will find most of your answers there as well as doing a SEARCH in this Forum. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Hong Kong Tourism Board
Hong Kong Tourism Board
297 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Returning from the peak at night

Tebby B-

1. She may not have been aware she could walk so automatically assumed she needed to take a bus.

2.Uphill- is there some disease certain nationalities suffer from that they are unable to walk 10 minutes without a combustion engine underneath them. I know in some countries driving from the supermarket to the store next door is de riguer but... It is hardly climbing Mt Everest

3.Isn't the forum here not only to answer the questions asked- but alternatives that may save money and or time.

4.Research - the Peak Tram website gives all the information asked and more. Asking a question after research is understandable - asking without attempting is inexcusable. It has not only the bus details but a map if you wanted to walk.

So next time you wish to be sarcastic- please think it through.

Mentioned in this post
Peak Tram
Peak Tram
8,057 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Returning from the peak at night

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas on how to reach the terminus, unfortuneately I am not very fit and although I love to walk around new places, up hill does get me a bit but now after reading your suggestions, I looked up the octupus site which directed me to the Peak Site and there is a map there so we will probably decide when we get there whether to walk or take the bus, particularly regards to how high the humidity is at that time of year - one other question what would be the best time to head up the peak to see it in daylight and then watch the lights come on

you are all great for your help and suggestions -

one other point TeddyBTraveller, I have visited the discoverhongkong site several times in regards to tour operators, as after many searches I have found several companies offering quite different products but when I go onto the official site to check them it says that new regulations were brought in and to check another site but when directed there it doesnt help, while there are some good tours listed on the site, one in particular I am looking for is a trip to Shenzhuen with 4 hour shopping time and some site seeing but this particular trip isnt listed on the official site, so i am looking at other operators but would like to know if they are okay to give credit card details to - sorry this is so long winded

Abbey

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,706 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Returning from the peak at night

>> 2.Uphill- is there some disease certain nationalities suffer from that they are unable to walk 10 minutes

Glad to know there IS at least 1 nation on earth whose citizens of any ages and health conditions can walk 10 minutes, never suffer from any respiratory or heart conditions, or require any mobility aid, from birth to death.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Returning from the peak at night

I guess you were having a dig at me and I am probably not a good advert for the image of a fit and bronzed aussie, only a 56 y.o. female who is a bit over weight and not as fit as I should be - I only visited HK for the 1st time last year and while my husband and I did lots of walking (show me a good street market and i bet you will tire first) we did go up the mid level escalators and thoroughtly enjoyed the walk down having a foot massage along the way, so I thought maybe the walk to the tram terminus was similiar walking 10 minutes uphill and this probably would be a bit of an effort for me and as I say humidity has a lot to do with how someone copes with a steep climb or a gentle walk hence the bus but as you say it is 10 minutes so we will give it a go

Abbey