We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
1,649 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

I will arriving at the Hong Kong Airport on a Tuesday night and flying out on Friday morning of the same week.

I was interested in buying the Airport Express Travel Pass and I have a question.

I wanted to use the Airport Express both for my arrival on Tuesday night and departure on Friday morning. Can I do this?

Friday would be the fourth day in HK, so I was not sure if I would have to buy a separate travel pass for my Friday return trip to the airport.

Any advice would be appreciated.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

If I were you, I would purchase an on loan Octopus Card and not bother with an Airport Express TravelCard

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

If you buy an Airport Express Travel Pass with 2 single journeys on the Airport Express, you will be able to use the 2nd single journey on the 4th day, i.e. Friday to get to the airport. The unlimited rides on the rest of the MTR system (except Airport Express, East Rail Line First Class, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations) are based on calendar days from first use on the MTR system (except Airport Express, East Rail Line First Class, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations), not date of purchase. There are free shuttle bus from both HK and Kowloon stations to many hotels.

Please note that the unlimited rides are on the MTR system only, not buses, mini buses, trams, ferries, etc. Please also do a quick "breakeven" calculation to see if you will use the MTR system enough to worth your while. Otherwise just get a regular "on loan" Octopus card instead. You may want to load HK$100 into the AETP for purchases of other goods and services. Any unused value stored in the card including the HK$50 deposit is fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure at the airport.

The AETP can be excellent value depending on the traveller's intended itinerary whilst in HK. So don't listen to advice that "broad brush" the AETP as being no good.

Edited: 5:02 pm, November 23, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

I will bein Hong Kong next week for 7 nights,

would it be worth buying the Airport Express 3 day unlimitted pass 300HKD which allows to trips on the Airport Express (arival and departure)?

Can this be toped up like a normal octopus card?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

The AETP is generally a tourist trap product for most travelers. Unless you ride the MTR a lot (and I mean a lot), you won't get your money's worth. Generally, the regular on-loan Octopus is a better deal. For the Airport Express, if more than one of you are traveling together, the group discount ticket offer gives you the best deal.

mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

Have a look at the first item in the "Top Questions" at top right.

London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

If I bought the on loan card, I still have to use the MTR from the airport to the city then transfer to the metro to get to my hotel, both arival and departure.

So will this mean that I can use the on loan card to pay for airport express or do I use another route?

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

You can use the on-loan Octopus Card for your Airport Express journeys. However if you are travelling in a group it is more economical to purchase a group ticket as Octopus Card doesn't give a group discount. See link in post 4

London, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

when using onloan octopus, what is the amount deducted when using AIRPORT EXP from HKIA to Hong Kong Station?

Can I use it for the free airport shuttle bus to the the hotel from Hong kong Airport express Station?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

lumflux

Cost is HK$100. If there is more than one person,get a group ticket. See mtr.com.hk/eng/airport_express/tf_index.html

Yes you can use the free airport shuttle bus.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong Airport Express Travel Pass?

It basically makes no sense to use the Octopus to deduct your Airport Express fare because that's the most expensive method. Even if you are traveling alone, you should get a roundtrip ticket at the airport. The cost is $180 (effectively a 10% discount) for the roundtrip.

I personally buy the roundtrip Airport Express voucher from my travel agent. She usually bills me around $135 to $140 for the roundtrip from HK Station. You take the voucher to the Airport Express Station to exchange for the actual ticket. Unfortunately, this offer is really for locals only since it's not offered by MTR itself.