We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island or Kowloon?

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
148 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Island or Kowloon?

Hello,

where is best stay in Hong Kong, Kowloon or the island.

In terms of transport (airport and back), attractions, authenticity of the experience.

I will be staying in mid range hotel and would like to get as much as possible of the city's vibe.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
89 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Depends on your priorities-

I would recommend the Kowloon side, eg Tsim Sha Tsui- the price is slightly cheaper than in Causeway Bay or Central, and it is convenient with a Star Ferry Terminal, Macau Ferry Terminal, MTR station and numerous bus routes passing by.

If you stay in Tsim Sha Tsui, you can also enjoy authentic street eateries on Temple Street, which is just a MTR station/ 15-min walk away.

Of course if you stay on the island side, you will have a lot of chance to take the local-favourite double-decker trams!

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,500 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,054 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
19,959 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal
Hong Kong Macau Ferry...
792 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,444 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Cair0 - Egypt
Level Contributor
172 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island or Kowloon?

I wouldn't bother my self with such a question in a city like HK. It really doesn't matter where you stay, every where is accessible with public transportation.

Yet, I recommend Kowloon, epecially the TST area, if you want to enjoy more of an authentic experience

wishing you a wonderful trip

M

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Personally, I would plump for the Island every time. That is just personal choice - there is no logic behind it

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Staying near Central will let you walk more, as there are more restaurants, bars, shops, malls, parks, landmarks nearby. The tram, MTR, taxis and buses will be always at hand. You can always take the Star Ferry to TST, which is one of the nicest rides in HK.

Apart from the central districts, the island offers great outdoor spaces, such as the Peak (best view in HK), the Botanic Garden, Hong Kong Park, the Dragon's Back and some nice beaches in the South.

True that open air markets tend to be in Kowloon side, but these aren't places where you will want to be for more than an hour or two, as they tend to be crowded and noisy.

Edited: 5:56 am, September 09, 2010
Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,444 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
19,959 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Park
Hong Kong Park
2,841 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The South China Hotel
The South China Hotel
165 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island or Kowloon?

Agree with 2. Have stayed on both sides and the difference is negligible...anywhere you want to go is easily accessible by public transportation or taxi.

6. Re: Island or Kowloon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, March 09, 2011