We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Berlin
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Hi,

I might get the chance to do an (unpaid) clinical rotation as a medical student at United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong / New Kowloon and I am now looking for accomodation.

Preferably in Kowloon, but I'd also stay somewhere else if it is a good option and close to a MTR station.

Are there any hostels that give a discount if I book a room for a whole month? Or could you recommend a guest house, college dorm or apartment rent? Or better look for a temporary sublet on craigslist?

Do I have the chance to find something for 5000 HDK / month? I know this isn't much, just looking for a clean and safe place.

I tried the Caritas guest houses, but they are fully booked. And I'd rather avoid Chungking Mansions.

Thanks for your help!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

there should be some apartments (without lifts) available for rent in Kwun Tong that fit your budget... but I'm not sure if you could rent for only 1 month...

Berlin
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Do you have a link to an advertising website or an agent etc.?

Doesn't have to be in Kwun Tong, I am also willing to stay somewhere else.

Thanks!

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Hello and Guten Tag,

A couple of leads if they help at all :

I used to stay at the Anne Black Guest House in Mong Kok. I met a gal on the lift one day a few years ago and she indicated she was booked for a month and really loved the place. Probably a bit more than your budget now, but worth a shot.

Anne Black Guest House always treated me well, and I was very happy with the rooms and amenities.

They do have their own website, but I always booked them through www.asiatravel.com I think it is. Asia Travel does have an office in Hong Kong, I am sure you could find the office phone number on their website.

Next - Cosmic Guest House in Mirador Mansions , close by to Chungking Mansions. I've stayed in CGH perhaps four times, and enjoy the place immensely. Hip, funky, a bit further down on the HK 'food chain' as it were. SUPER owner and assistants. I had my wallet lifted one day in HK, and they could not have been nicer assisting me with the fallout of same.

Basic, clean rooms. I have no doubt they would rent you a place for a month.

There are people here at TA who absolutely loathe Chungking and Mirador because of the street level pedestrian traffic in each. I can vouch 100% for Mirador - and have strolled past these people at all hours of the day and night, and have never had a problem.

Next - Star Guest House on Cameron Road in TST. Nearby to Chungking and Mirador. They have two facilities - Star Guest House and Lee Garden Guest House across the street.

I stayed in Star GH this year in March and LOVED the place. Small, super clean room, nicely taken care of each day. It was great. I paid about $40 USD a night - maybe $300 HKD I think it was. I realize that's maybe $9000 HKD, but perhaps they'd give you a deal for a month's stay.

Hope some of this helps, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Have a great day there in Deutschland!

Steve in the USA

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

A couple of additional thoughts:

I have trolled HK Craigslist for a month's stay in HK, and did have some luck doing so. That being said, it seemed that most of the leads were for places that were renting for a lot more than your $5000 HKD / month. Perhaps though, you'll get lucky and fall into your dream place for your budget.

Also - there is a HUGE expat community that's based on Lamma Island centered near Yung Shu Wan. In my strolls through YSW, there were loads and loads of postings for roomates wanted, sublets, apartment rentals, the works.

I don't think there's a central clearing 'desk' for this, but perhaps some of the HK experts here might be able to help a bit more with this thought.

Lamma is an easy commute by ferry to Central, but it would be a significant commute to your hospital should something on Lamma work out.

Steve in the USA

Berlin
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Hey,

thanks much for this informative posting. I vaguely remember a time when there was no internet...what did we do then? :)

I checked out the Anne Black guest house. Unfortunately it seems to be out of my budget.

And I've read several good reviews things about Star / Lee Guest House and Cosmic Guest House (though I'm still not sure about Mirador Mansions in general) and emailed them for a monthly quote. I also tried the Dragon Hostel / Ah Shan Guest House in Mongkok, they seem to have a good reputation and very reasonable prices, too.

Another guest house I found was www.wontonmeen.com. I could rent a room there with my budget, but I haven't found any reviews about the place on the internet, which I found a bit odd because the rooms seem to be quite cheap for HK. And from what I have heard about other places such as cozy studios or studiostudio, I wouldn't like to rent a plcae without knowing anything about the agency or hostel.

Has anybody heard anything about Wonton Meen (no, not the dish, of course)?

But the hospital I'll be working at just sent me an email, saying that I could maybe use hospital accomodation for 3000 HKD / month, if there's any vacancy.

I'll propably take this option (if there's any vacancy). I don't know anything about the facilities, room size etc. yet, but I suppose (or hope?) it'll be simple and clean and not a rip-off. And I won't find anything cheaper anywhere, I guess.

It's propably not located in the most exciting area (the hospital is at the northern end of Hip Wo St in Kwun Tong), but it's very close to the hospital and I have to be there very early in the morning...only a bit far from next MTR station, but there's a bus.

Again, thanks for your help!

Regards from Berlin

Yasmin

Edited: 4:23 pm, June 02, 2010
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

If it's only 3000HKD a month and it's offered by the hospital, I would take it no matter what. It should be at least better than some of the dodgier places you would come across outside I would think, and you can probably only find shared apartments on that budget. Location is not a problem once you learn which bus routes to take.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

I'd absolutely agree with HK expert Glacierfed above. For $3000 HKD a month, to me at least, you'll never do better than that

If available, my thought is jump on it.

Perhaps you could contact them and say you really, really, REALLY would appreciate it if they could make that work for you. Seems only fair as I belive you said this rotation was unpaid.

Also agree with Glacierfed in that bus routes will take you from anywhere, to anywhere in HK. The HK public transport system is amazing, they move people there unlike any other major city I've ever been in.

If for some reason this hospital stay doesn't work out, feel free to stop back for further assistance and ideas.

Have a great day Yasmin,

Steve in the USA

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Oh cool! When are you doing your elective? I'm going to Chinese University of Hong Kong for 4 weeks to do general/internal medicine :) Cannot wait! Although the student accommodation they're providing me is HK$780/week which is not too bad as well. Hope you enjoy HK!

Edited: 4:42 pm, June 03, 2010
Istanbul
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Hi Yasmin, did you stay at Wonton meen? How were your experiences about it? I am also planning to rent a room from wonton meen for a week.

Thank you,

Cenk

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: accomodation in Hong Kong for a month

Lamma island is probably a good shout, about 45 mins from HK central by ferry, ferry runs every 45 mins or so, very popular with expats, closest you'll get to living in a village 45 mins from central HK.

http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum/index.php

would be a good place to start.