We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Updating

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
Just Updating

7 days in HONG KONG Nov.19 - 26 What an incredibly enjoyable and exciting experience.

Our 8hr flight from Brisbane Australia to HK on Qantas was enjoyable.

On arrival in HK the processing procedures were without delay and transportation to our

Hotel was a relatively straightforward process.

The terminal facilities were reminiscent of Japan and the ride from the airport to The Park Hotel brought back memories of the masses of millions and “seemingly” chaotic

confusion of shuffling for positions in the traffic of Manilla in The Phillippines.

I think the three of us were so overawed by the multitudes of people, honking horns on jam-packed busy streets with the flashing of neon signs everywhere.

The staff at The Park hotel greeted us enthusiastically and took care of all procedures efficiently. This was Saturday evening.

Bordering now on 8pm (10pm ours) we took to the streets for a quick familiarisation and a

morsel to eat we eventually retired to bed at 10pm (12mid ours) exhausted after the full day of travel and 2hour time difference.

I was awake at 1:20 (3:20 ours) so took to the streets to tire myself out and check out our surroundings without the masses of people getting back to the hotel at 3:30am

I must say that I was surprised that as a 70yr old to be confronted on a couple of occasions by madams that wanted me to wander off with them.

Fortunately for us our first full day is Sunday so hopefully the pace of life around these parts

might be a bit more tranquil.

I do have 5 pages of exciting and exhilarating coverage of our stay....too much to bore anyone

with.

Shenzhen was a MUST for bargain hunters.

Octopus card..get it, get it, get it.

Taxis, cheap, cheap cheap.

If you want a thrill...top deck, front seat, left hand side of the double decker bus coming down from the peak.........Really something you will remember.

Wing Shing Photo Supplies 91-95 Fa Yuen St Mongkok Kowloon (3 different stores there in

Mongkok) was the ONLY dealer that

(a) Had the lowest price on the product I was seeking

(b) Was the ONLY dealer that would negotiate on price.

Had a GREAT TIME

PEOPLE...friendly, hospitable, helpful and HONEST...that’s how we found them.

Masaloi

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
645 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Updating

Thanks for the info Masaloi - we (husband and I) will be there 25/26 December on our way to Australia, so all your tips much appreciated. Glad you had a great trip.

Ana

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Updating

merlin5,

Welcome to our world.

I take it you have been to OZ before !

We have been in drought for a very long season now though have had some recent freak weather, seems to be happening across the world.

You won't need your woolies as you will be arriving on our Summer season.

Oz being the BIG place it is, just whereabouts will you be staying?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
645 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Updating

Masaloi, been once before - almost 2 years ago. My sister and niece live there - outside of Melbourne. We are staying in Castlemaine, then off to Apollo Bay for a week over New Year then back to Castlemaine before coming home to Uk via Hong Kong (one very short overnight stay on the return). I LOVE Australia and would move there tomorrow - except we don't have enough "points" to do so.

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Updating

Victoria....a very pleasant state to visit.

My wife and I will be staying in the City for a week Dec.28-Jan.04.

Your niece has "wisely" chosen the smaller state to live in limiting the distance of travel required, whereas some of our larger states are HUGE by UK and European standards.

You might like to look up this site and its links for some interesting info.

www.australianexplorer.com/victoria.htm