We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping in HK

australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tipping in HK

hi

This may sound a silly question but do you tip in HK

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping in HK

Tipping is not needed in Hong Kong except for exceptional services. And many restaurants already imposed a complusory 10% service charge. Leaving odd cents would be fine .

Just do the same in Hong Kong as in Australia.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping in HK

No it is not customary to tip in a restaurant. Tips in regular restaurants could be seen as patronizing. Unless i'm wrong, they are not suppose to accept tips unless it is declared on the bill (in the same way that in other countries, the government requires you to declare a % of your salary as tips).

As mentioned, many sit-down restaurants will charge a 10% service charge on the bill.

You can read the following for a more information about customs and etiquette:

discoverhongkong.com/canada/dining/tips.html

http://www.vayama.com/etiquette/hong-kong/

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping in HK

First, as a visitor you do not need to tip. Secondly, if you do want to tip, at certain places it is fine and it probably won't be refused, although it might if it is only the 'cents' :). At the cheapest local places and at dai pai dongs it is not common. You take all the change. At places where you are paying perhaps HK$70+ a head then you have a choice whether to tip or not. This might just be the odd dollars - for example your bill is HK$184 - you pay HK$200 cash and leave HK$6 tip and take HK$10 change. I wouldn't pay tips on the credit card. Likely that the waiter won't get it.

I tip at places I go to regularly, partly as a reward for past good service, and also as a down payment for future good service. As a visitor, you have not had past good service, so no need to tip, and you are not going to get future service, so again no need to tip.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping in HK

>> Tips in regular restaurants could be seen as patronizing.

Not if the change is returned on a small tray to your table

>> Unless i'm wrong, they are not suppose to accept tips unless it is declared on the bill

You are wrong. If you pay at the cashier, they don't accept tips. If the bill and change are delivered to your table, you tip by rounding up as mentioned by drumbrake.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping in HK

Agree with Tin & Drumbrake; tip (or more often not do so) as you would in Australia - just round up the fare for taxi drivers (and for courtesy's sake don't give the boor blokes $500 for a $30 ride and expect them to have change available!), and in good restaurants leave cash tips for exceptional service. Mid - upper range places will normally already have added 10% service charge to the bill. As Bibimbob notes, don't tip in places where you pay at the counter (even if some coffee shops have started leaving "tip jars" there!).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,075 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping in HK

Taxis: the taxi driver usually rounds up to the nearest dollar automatically. There is no need to pay any more than the rounded fare. If they take more than that from you, they are being dishonest so demand your money back.

Restaurants: For most sit-down places, 10% is added automatically. The local practice is often leave a couple coins (not cents, but dollar-type coins) and that should be enough in most cases. For example, for a bill that is $385, consider leaving $5 and take the $10, or vice versa depending on your level of comfort. Nobody is going to scream if you decide not to leave anything though.

If you use a credit card, just add a few dollars to the bill, or a bit more if you are at a high-end place. I have a relative who works as a waitress and she told me they split the tips although every place might have its own rules.

Don't tip for bad service though, and don't overtip. Overtipping drives up prices and expectations in the long-run.

Pay-at-counter places: No need to leave any change. Take everything.

Bellboys: If you get bell boys service, tip them $10 to $20.

Otherwise, HK is generally not huge on tipping.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping in HK

for restaurant, usually, just leave one or two dollars for tips. for some Dai Pai Dong, no need. as a general thumb of rule, if the waiter comes and collect and give changes to your table, leave a few tips. for taxis, personally, I won't give tips. but sometimes, they round up their change to the nearest dollar. tipping is common in HK but not nessecary

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping in HK

Tips are always appreciated (and expected) but not complusory.

the '10% service charge' in restaurant are usually (if not always) NOT going to the staff

I usually leave behind 5 - 10% as tip at restaurant

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,075 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping in HK

Again, whether the service charge goes to the staff depends on the establishment.

If 10% is added, there is really no need to tip another 5 to 10%. You drive up expectations and prices in the long-run. HK's culture has some tipping involved but it's not a big amount as mentioned above. Be reasonable and adhere to the local standards.

10. Re: tipping in HK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:38 am, November 12, 2010