We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HK is not AE friendly

NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HK is not AE friendly

When I was in HK during this late oct. I found American Express is not widely accepted. I went to a major electronic chain store and to my surprise they only accept Visa. When I did use my AE the store put an extra surcharge on my purchase. They said AE handling fee is high. The only place that AE is widely accepted is hotel. Remember to bring VISA if you are visiting HK

Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON
#3 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
#5 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
#8 of 731 hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HK is not AE friendly

This does not happen in HK only. AE is also not widely accepted in Singapore compared to Visa and MasterCard.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Brisbane
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HK is not AE friendly

American Express is not widely accepted in Australia either - I had one several years ago, not any more. Visa or Mastercard are much preferred.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HK is not AE friendly

AE's service charges to the merchants are higher than Visa and MC that's why HK merchants do not prefer AE. But most hotels will take and department stores will take AE. Small restaurants, and boutiques.... most likely not.

Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HK is not AE friendly

As a follow-up question: do the charges of these card companies to the merchants pass on to the cardholders?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HK is not AE friendly

I never really have a problem with using AE cards. Contractually the merchant is not allowed to charge you "extra" for using AE or whatever credit card, but of course these credit card fees ultimately come out of the customer's pocket.

It also depends on your bargaining skill and buying power. If they want my business badly enough, they will take my card without the questionable extra fee.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HK is not AE friendly

AE is not much accepted anywhere really, not even in the US.

Only bigger stores and chains accept it.

;