We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee in HK / Macau

Ho Chi Minh
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Coffee in HK / Macau

What kinds of coffee do people in HK and Macau drink?

I mean it's just Starbucks only or what? Do they drink filter coffee too?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

follow this thread for coffee discussion

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread7929.html

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

Starbucks is everywhere. Another chain is Pacific Coffee, similar to Starbucks.

Local style coffee is served at tea-cafes everywhere, along side the famous milk tea and lemon tea. You can have it hot or iced, but you would never know what kind of beans they use; it's just "coffee" on the menu.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

Portuguese-style coffee is available at various cafes in Macau - I don't know the technicalities, but it's spoon-bendingly strong :-)

A couple of other local specialties are lemon coffee (hot or iced, in both Hong Kong and Macau) and cha-fe, which is black tea mixed with over-brewed coffee, heavily sweetened and served with evaporated milk (which I've only seen in Macau).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

I only went to 2-3 places in HK to get my coffee (besides Starbucks). What i noticed is these "western" coffee shops did not have filtered coffee. They all used expresso machines to make "allonge" (basically expresso but they filter in more water). It tastes great!

Who am i to complain when they just skip the cheap stuff and go right to the fancy.

Among chains, there are McCafe's and Delifrance among other chains. You will almost always find one place that serves coffee in shopping malls. Any place that serves things like croissant will have coffee.

Ho Chi Minh
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
5. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

Hi all,

thanks for the infos. I just didn't think people in HK would have that much time for filtered coffee and it's pretty strong too (compared to those at Starbucks)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
899 posts
159 reviews
6. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

I recently had a great cup of coffee at a small cafe in Macau, on Ave Panoromica De Lago, opposite A Lorcha's. Some small but friendly places up there to sit down and watch the world go by.

In HK I prefer Pacific Coffee or Habitu for my coffee, but there are plenty of smaller places where you can get a decent cup.

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
7. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

I've just spent 4 weeks in Hong Kong. I love good coffee & not keen on the coffee sold at Starbucks & other chains. A friend who lives in HK suggested I try a small family-run coffee & sandwich bar called Coco Espresso on Hong Kong Island. In my experience this was the best coffee that I had during my stay & I would recommend it. The barista is well trained & the quality of the coffee that I had there was consistent. The bar is at 197 Queen's Road Central, near Cosco Tower & the Sheung Wan MTR.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
8. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

Hi,Starbucks for coffee-more like sugar water(my personal opinion).

But a good place for coffee and having a bird eye's view of HK skyline is Pacific Coffee at Central Plaza.Then from here,using the covered foot bridge, can reach The Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, Grand Hyatt and Renaissance Harbour View.

My other favourite coffe haunts are Cova and in Excelsior hotel(EXpresso-real good ristretto with lovely egg tarts).

In Macau,I have my usual dose of "bica" in Boa Mesa(within Senado Square), topped it with port and enjoy with house specialty of chocolate mousse.

9. Re: Coffee in HK / Macau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 26, 2010