We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general questions

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
general questions

How much money should I put on an Octopus card?will be in Hong Kong for 4 days.

How do I get to the peak from the MarcoPolo Hong Kong?

What type of breakfast is served in Hong Kong?

Are any of the markets near the Marco Polo HongKong?

I would like to buy a Sony dvd camcorder---can anyone tell me if I am cheaper buying it in Hong Kong or at the airport in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

MARGARET

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general questions

It all depends on where you will go. HK$100.00 will be good enough to start. Top-up your Octopus card is very easy at all subway stations and convenient stores (7-Eleven / Circle K etc.) too.

Take the Star ferry to Central and get on a special bus (an open roof double decker) which will take you directly to the Peak Tram station. The bus stop is located at the Central ferry terminal too. Then take the tram to the Peak.

International breakfast buffet at the hotel. You can also find many restaurants serving western and local chinese breakfast around your hotel area.

There is a large shopping mall right below your hotel. Night markets (Temple Street / Mongkok) are nearby (about 15 minutes by taxi if no traffic). You can also take subway to both night markets too.

I am not sure whether the price at the airport is more expensive than in the city. However, there will be more choices for sure if you buy it at the city. You can go to large stores like Broadway & Fortress to purchase your DVD camcorder.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general questions

Thanks Larry for your advice.I wanted to find out as much as possible before I get to Hong Kong.

MARGARET.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general questions

What number bus do I take?

I am looking forward to trying authentic Chinese food,can't wait for the dim sum,just prefer western or continental type breakfast.

Should have added this to my above post.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general questions

-Any unused value in the Octopus card is fully refundable upon your surrendering the card on departure (unless you want to keep the card as souvenir). So allow yourself an extra 15 minutes on departure at the airport.

-You may wish to consider purchasing the Tourist Transport Pass. Go to www.mtr.com.hk for details.

-Go to www.discoverhongkong.com for information on restaurants and shopping tips. Look for shops and restaurants accredited under Hong Kong Tourism Board's QTS (Quality Tourism Services) Scheme.

-There are lots of shops near Marco Polo Hong Kong, one of the better hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui. For breakfast, you can have the traditional baked beans, beacon and egg type western breakfast, or what I call "localised" western breakfast, or you can try the Chinese style breakfast with congee, doug, etc.

-Direction to the peak - go to www.thepeak.com.hk. The easiest fro MCHK is probably taking the Star Ferry to Hong Kong, then catch the No. 15C First Bus from the Star Ferry pier (on the HK island side) to Garden Road Peak Tram terminus. Operates every 10~20 minutes, fare HK$3.20.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general questions

P.S. Lots of Chinese restaurants in HK. Personally, the Dynasty at New World Renaissance Hotel at 22 Salisbury Road (south side) in Tsim Sha Tsui East. About 15~20 minutes' walk (leisurely pace) from MPHK. Ask for further directions at your hotel or ring the restaurant 2369 4111 and ask to be connected to the Dynasty Restaurant. Reservation is recommended.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general questions

Hi TBT

Thanks for all the tips.I will check the sites you advise,the problem with"discover Hong Kong" is that I am usually on it for ages.I didn't know about the traveller card,nor do I know what congee or doug is---fruit maybe??

Have never been to Hong Kong but always wanted to and can't wait to get there.7 weeks and3 days,but who's counting.

I usually only have cereal and/or fruit or toast for breakfast,hence the query.

MARGARET