We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Hi, I'll be visiting HKG with my hubby and child of 5 yrs on 24th Sept 2005 and would greatly appreciate if someone could provide recommendations on where I can find nice and cheap dim sum in Mongkok/TST/Central location.

Usually, what time is the dim sum hour in HKG....... quite clueless.

hong kong
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Lin Heung Tea House in Wellington Street is great but you may find the environment not so comfortable.

Lunch hour in Hong Kong starts at 12:00 noon. Occuy a seat before 12:00 noon. During lunch hour, more choices are available.

For morning tea, only some dishes are available.

Hong Kong people take dimsum in the morning and lunch but not for dinner.

Maxim in City Hall, Central is also good.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Part of the thing with Luk Yue is that they have attitude. They like to suck up to the rich bosses, horse ownders, and regulars. For the rest of us, well...

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

i will be staying at Marco Polo, near the star ferry... Im really clueless as to locations... but what would be my best choice for a good dimsum. Disregarding price...just quality alone to consider. What would be my best option? walking distance prefered...

thanks

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

neversummer,

Maxim's has 2 chinese restaurants inside Star House, which is near Star Ferry pier in Tsim Sha Tsui. The Jade Garden serves cantonese food, while the Peking Garden serves peking (beijing) food. You will see a McDonald's near the pier, that's Star House.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

awesome! I think ive been to jade garden...they are great.. i will have to try the other one....and i ate at a dimsum place near marco polo prince, i think...4 yrs ago. Im not sure what that place is called. its not inside the mall, and the entrance is from the street... could this be what you're talking about? how does this place rate in terms of dimsum quality and price range?

thanks...

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and feedback. You guys are simply awesome!

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

neversummer, Star House's entrance is also from the street, it is called Salisbury Road. It is nearer to Marco Polo Hong Kong than to Marco Polo Prince. You can see the ferry pier and the bus terminus at the entrance. Maxim's dimsum quality and price are in the mid-range.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

there is a budget all-day all-night dim sum "cafe" chain called "dim sum".

i went to the one at 122 austin road on TST.

it works like Cafe de Coral or Fairwood, where the list of items are pasted on the signboard inside the cafe. you order and pay at the cashier, get the receipt, and go to the serving counter.

we had dim sum at 10pm (we stayed a bit further up the road at Eaton).

overall review: perhaps closer to residential area coffee shop dim sum than luxury 5* hotel dim sum, but to me, cheap, good, open late.

(minor issue: you gotta read chinese and speak cantonese here...)

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

You can even have packaged dim sum around the clock at 7-eleven. Ready to serve in a few minutes from the self-service microwave inside the store. Of course their quality cannot be compared with freshly made ones.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Locations of Nice Dim Sum

Thanks Tin.

awesome...