We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 last hotel question!

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
1 last hotel question!

So we're leaving tomorrow and still haven't booked our last 3 days of the trip. We're staying at Salisbury in TST for 4 nights and then going to Macau for a night. We wanted to stay on the HK Island side when we returned, just to get something a little different.

We want to stay in a lively area near the bars and clubs that we'd go to at night. Since HK is easy to get around, we're not too worried about being close to the sightseeing and day travels. Can anyone suggest hotels in or around Wan Chai, Admiralty, Central that would be appropriate. $160 a night is about max for us.

Any last minute advice would be really helpful! Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 last hotel question!

Try the excelsior, nice hotel in causeway bay, price is in your budget range.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 last hotel question!

I knew someone who stayed at the Excelsior about 1.5 years ago told me that the rooms were quite tired. However, this is an older hotel so the room size is more generous than the newer one. Otherwise, I have not heard anything "bad" about this hotel which is located in Causeway Bay.

I don't think that you can get anything equivalent to the YMCA Salisbury near Admiralty or Central for US$160/night. You may consider the Novotel Century in Wanchai but make sure you ask for a renovated room. The hotel has been undergoing a refurbrishment programme. The Park Lane and Luk Kwok are both nearby the Novotel and are okay. A friend recently stayed at the Metropark and was reported to be okay but you've to book a higher category room as the standard room is very small and only has a shower closet.

Actually, you will find the transportation very convenient in HK that it really does not matter which side of the harbour you stay.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 last hotel question!

P.S. If able, go to www.discoverhongkong.com and there is a comprehensive list of hotels in HK. This is the official web site of the HK Tourism Board.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 last hotel question!

Definitely the Excelsior. We rate it as the best breakfast in the world - 5 chefs to cater your every Whim. The rooms are a bit tired but we too were tired. Its close to MTR and cheap from Macau terminal by taxi.