We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

melbourne, victoria
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

we are 2 adults and 2 kids, wanting to stay in one room. The holiday inn golden mile appears to have 2 double beds in some rooms but their web site is not letting me book these rooms for 4 people, only 2. I see from other postings that families of 4 have stayed here - did they not declare that they were 4 people when they booked? Is the holiday inn a better hotel than the shangri-la and should we try ringing them direct to see if they will take the 4 of us?

melbourne, victoria
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

I managed to get on to the holiday inn and they will take the 4 of us. The only question now remains - which hotel will be better for us - the holiday inn or Shangri-la? Please help me decide - i have to confirm the booking as soon as possible. Thank you everyone for your help with my trip so far!

Level Contributor
4,196 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

The location of HI Golden Mile is superior to Kowloon Shangri-la. However, based on Travelocity's rating, the Kowloon SL is rated as 5-star whereas HIGM is rated as a 3-star, may be a high 3-star IMHO.

Personally, I'd pick HIGM over KSL due to its superior location.

If you like something "better", the Sheraton is about 1 block south of HIGM and it is 4.5 star. I don't know if the Sheraton will take 4 in a room though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

I have stayed at both hotels on different occasions and I prefer the Shangri-la Hotel because of the kind of service the Shangri-la gives its guests. Although Shangri-la costs more , it's always value for money at the Shang! It's also connected to the Pacific Place Mall which may be more convenient if you're travelling with kids. I think it would be cheaper if you book through a website agent. I have alwys booked through asiarooms. Hope this helps.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

To sodagirl, my guess is the Kleinish is talking about Kowloon Shangri-la not Island Shangri-la that you referred to.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

If you are there mainly for shopping and dining out, then the HIGM might be better due to location (with kids).

The reason for its * rating is only due to the fact that it lack certain amenities that each category of hotel needs before it can be classified into that category. It is by no means an indication of service or quality. You can stay at a 5* hotel and complain about the service and quality (old and tired hotels that is not well-maintained or/and run by people who are tired of their jobs and/or dislike tourists who are making them work at a job they dont like).

In some cases, a family of 4 might be able to squeeze into a room if it includes one infant (in a crib) and the other child sleeps in the same bed arrangement in that room (no extra bed is allowed). Or that one kid sleeps with the parent and one on an extra bed. It is due to safety regulations. Definitely worth a correspondence (email, fax or phone) to check out if the hotels you are looking into will take your sleeping arrangements. Btw, the Sheraton is a nicer hotel and they are having a promotion (great promotion of pay 2 get 1 night free).

Good luck !

melbourne, victoria
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

thanks everyone!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

The rooms at the Kowloon Shangri-la are much bigger from my experience. That's where I'm putting my family soon. As for "central location" for the GM, we are talking a few hundred meters difference, not 20kms! Walking is actually good for you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kowloon shangri-la or holiday inn golden mile?

OOps Katetam Sorry. My mistake. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.