We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

My wife & I were born in Hong Kong, but left Hong Kong to Canada about 40 yrs ago, and have since become Canadian citizens holding Canadian passports, while our old HK passports expired in the 1970's.

I have been told by a friend that, for ease of (a) entering into mainland China or (b) staying in HK for longer periods of time upon our retirement, it may be better for us to get a HK ID card, and a "Re-enter Village Card" to get into Mainland China.

Later this year, we will be in HK via a short stay in Shanghai. We would appreciate any following information:

a) Where in HK do we get these two cards?

b) Can we get these cards for our 2 adult children, as they may wish to come back to HK or China someday?

c) Any web links that I can review further?


Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

while I have an expired HKID card, I won't be caught dead holding a re-enter permit/HKID entering China, despite the much higher cost of a visa. But that's your choice.

a) 1. http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_hkid.htm#b

2. http://www.ctshk.com/passport/bookrep.htm

you need to get a)1. first, which takes a few weeks.

b) right of abobe is such a complicated matter, please see the official website:


4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

If you still have a copy of your HK birth certificate, then it's very easy. I went to the Immigration office with my old HK ID card and my birth certificate to apply for the new smart card. It took 10 working days to be ready for pick up.. It helps if you make an online appointment on their web site so you don't have to line up. I also got that re-enter permit to go to the Mainland for business and visit relatives, which is a little more convenient than getting a visa. If for whatever reason you think the PRC is coming to get you, don't think your Canadian passport would mean much.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
863 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

the rules for qualifying for a Wui Heung Jing (return home permit) have recently changed.

If you hold foreign nationality you can no longer get one, even if you have a 3* ID card.

However, if you manage to get a 3* id card then you can apply for a multi-entry visa.

There is probably a way around it but I'm not sure what the consequences would be if you were found out.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
863 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

I should qualify that and say "3* with foreign nationality, you can apply for a multi-entry visa".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

I was born in HK and have the option of getting a HK ID and use this to enter China. But I am unwilling because if you do enter as a HK resident and you get into trouble the cdn government may not be able to help you. I always enter HK and China as a Canadian rather than a HK resident.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

One may not enter China with a HKID card. This information is incorrect.

The "***" on the HKID card merely means that the holder is an adult and is eligible for the issue of the Hong Kong Re-entry Permit. The alphabet after the "***" designate the status of the holder in HK. Those with the Right of Abode will have "A", "R" for those with the Right to Land, "U" for unconditional visa holders and "C" for conditional visa holders. Child ID card has only one "*".

China does not allow dual citizenship. This is a complicated issue.

I am not an expert in this area but it would appear that the OP should qualify for the Right of Abode status in HK since they were born there (presumably with necessary proof). If their adult children were born in Canada, they may not qualify for the Right of Abode status but may qualify for the Right to Land status. The best is to contact HK's Immigration Dept. for guidance.

I understand that Canadian citizens with HK Permanent ID card may apply for multiple entry China visa valid up to 3 years.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

While it may be more convienent to use HKID card and/or "Re-enter Village Card", holders may be regarded as Chinese citizens and without consular protection while in Hong Kong or mainland China even if they are holders of Canadian passports unless they have made a declaration to change their nationality.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
863 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

TeddyB is correct, one poster is confusing the HKID card with a Return Home Permit (i.e. Wui Heung Jing), they are NOT the same.

The 3* on a HKID indicates eligibility for a home return permit as long as you are a Chinese Citizen (and therefore do not hold any foreign nationality)

If you hold foreign nationality then you can now only apply for a multi-entry visa only.

This policy has recently changed either as a result of the visa shake-up post Olympics or perhaps because the first issued batch of RHP are about to expire?

If you wish to qualify for a RHP, you will have to first establish that your HK residency is 3* and then relinquish your Canadian nationality.

A fellow HK'er and Canadian - Allan Zeeman, who runs Ocean Park - has just recently adopted Chinese Citizenship by relinquishing his Canadian citizenship/nationality and he now has a 3* HKID and a RHP!

9. Re: Hong Kong ID Card for Canadian citizen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 14, 2009