We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantau Island

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Lantau Island

Hi,

I am searching for info about trip to Lantau Island but just could not find it. I am looking for the fares, transport, ferry times etc. to the big buddha.

Is there a website for Lantau island? Thanks.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantau Island

Lantau bus

http://www.newlantaobus.com/nlb-map.htm

Ferry to Mui Wo

nwff.com.hk/english/schedule/search_route.asp

Po Lin Monastery

http://www.plm.org.hk/index_en.htm

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantau Island

Besides ferry, you can access Lantau Island by MTR to Tung Chung. From Tung Chung, there is a bus to Ngong Ping (where the monastery and big buddha is located. And if you are really coming next March, the gondola cable car will be opened by then -- http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantau Island

I think I will still go to HK in Nov since someone has mentioned that the climate in Nov is the best. I just got to scrimp and save.

Also, thanks for all the Lantau info. However, you can call me stupid, I do not really understand the schedule and fares. I hope someone can help me.

All I need is to know the bus service number to and fro between the MTR station and the big buddha. With this, I think I can calculate the fares. Also, may I know the travelling time from the MTR station to the big buddha? Thanks.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lantau Island

The bus to Big Buddha from MTR Tung Chung Station is Lantau bus 23. It costs HK$16 for adult, HK$8 for child on weekdays; HK$25 for adult, HK$12.50 for child on Sundays and public holidays. The journey time is about 1 hour. Frequency varies from 10 to 60 minutes, have a look at the departure times at www.newlantaobus.com/schedule-frame23.htm

On Kowloon, MTR journey to Tung Chung Station from Tsim Sha Tsui Station takes about 40 minutes and costs HK$15.10 for adult, HK$7.60 for child. On Hong Kong Island, MTR journey to Tung Chung Station from Hong Kong Station takes about 30 minutes and costs HK$20.10 for adult, HK$10.10 for child.

BTW, Big Buddha closes at 6pm.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lantau Island

Hi Tin,

Nay I know the fare you have quoted, is it one-way or two-way? Thanks.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lantau Island

The fares are one-way.

Singapore
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lantau Island

Hi, I will be stay at Disneyland Hollywood Hotel this November when I visit HK, may I know if from the location of HK Disneyland go to the Big buddha is it convenience?

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lantau Island

Going to Big Buddha is more convenient from Disneyland than from the urban, they are both on the Lantau Island. Take MTR to Tung Chung (just 2 stops from Disneyland, but need to change line), then Lantau bus 23 will take you to Big Buddha.