We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollution in Hong Kong

san francisco
13 posts
Save Topic
Pollution in Hong Kong

I know the pollution is Hk is bad, but is it bad to the point where if I wore white clothes, it will turn black by the end of the day??

Singapore
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

*LoL*

I seriously doubt HK pollution is that bad!

I sure hope not!.. then all those brides in white gowns would be in trouble when they take outdoor photos in HK!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

I found the pollution to be much better than say, London. In London you can just taste the exhaust fumes as cars go past. In HK although there were loads of cars pollution didn't seem that bad at all. And your white clothes certainly won't turn black!

Level Contributor
4,196 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

I understand since 2002, all new motor vehicles registered in HK must comply with Euro III Emission Standard. HK follows the European motor vehicle emission standard very closely.

You can also check the Air Pollution Index at this site:

http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/eindex.php

White clothes turn black by the end of the day, I am sure that you are just joking!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

Pollution is bad in HK, but I wear white all the time, it might not turn black, but grey maybe... hahaha, anyways, the pollution is particularly bad in Mongkok, Causeway Bay.....for those with respiratory problems... those would feel more effects of pollution. However, HK is like any other "big" city...... like LA, New York, Chicago, ...etc. lots of traffic, lots of high rises, and if you are coming between July-October..... quite hot ! It's 34 today for us!

san francisco
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone! I am kind of not joking with the white clothes turning black because my mom carried a white purse when she was at HK and it turned pretty filthy when she returned.

Anyways, how hot is 34 degrees? Would that be equivalent to 100 in San Francisco??

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

34 C is equivalent to about 93 F, but HK has a humid summer, although you can have 103 F in SF, you'll feel HK very differently from the dry SF summer.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

Yes, I dislike the heat more than the pollution.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pollution in Hong Kong

When was your mom there? A friend of mine lived in London 15+ years ago and she told me that they used to use coal for heat almost exclusively. She said that black soot would come out when she blew her nose, and her white clothes always looked grey. But coal heat is less common now, and I didn't experience that when I was in London in January.

Maybe that's what caused your mom's purse to turn grey?