We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smog/Pollution in HK

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Smog/Pollution in HK

We are travelling to HK in late August for 5 nights. We have booked a harbour view room at the Sheraton Kowloon but now I am concerned that there may not be much of a view. Is smog/pollution and humidity such a big problem that we won't be able to see HK island at all? And will we be able to see some of the"Symphony of Lights" nightly shows from our room?

Thanks.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smog/Pollution in HK

We had a harbour view room at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford at Easter. We knew before we went that the fog would be bad at that time of year, but it always cleared well enough to see HK island. Don't think it gets foggy in August though. Yes, you will be surprised at how bad the pollution is, but again that shouldn't spoil your view. I would recommend viewing the Symphony of Lights from the Promenade to get the full effect and hear the commentary.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smog/Pollution in HK

Sorry, I meant to say you would get a good view from the Avenue of Stars. (Couldn't hear myself think - the rain was bucketing down. andybrian will understand)

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smog/Pollution in HK

This year, the Symphony of Lights will be complemented by firework pyrotechnics on 1 July, and also between 25 June and 27 August but only on Saturdays.

It is much better when with fireworks then just laser beams, although these fireworks are just mini and cannot be compared with those during Chinese New Year.