We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

san francisco
13 posts
Save Topic
Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

I am wondering if there are any kind of food or places we should be cautious about. I have heard many food poisoning stories on the news in the US, so I just want to get some info on wht kind of food or food places should I avoid. I know I should avoid the street vendors, but I just can't resist everytime I go there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

beb,

I've traveled all over and never had any problems in HK. If you feel you need to be careful, you might want to watch out for raw seafood, unless it's in a large restaurant or you have a local with you.

canada
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

I was once hit by Nepalese cuisine.

Nowadays the recently hot Marberg virus can also give rise to similar symptoms, besides respiratory symptoms.

On the whole established places are safe because the staff are trained and used to the teamwork.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

You should be more careful on raw food such as oyster and sashimi. These are the most usual food poisoning in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

just beware of the big fresh seafish (i mean the really BIG one)u might have in a seafood meal, there were food posioning stories on the local news a few times. There's nothing to do with the cleaningness of the cooking, but the body of the Big Fish contain a kind of 'posion' element ...i don't know how to say it, but just bare of this in mind.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

The poison that iamchinesegirl saying is ciguatera toxin, which accumulates inside the body of coral reef fishes without killing themselves.

mexico
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

generally hong kong does practice very good hygienme especially where it concerns hotels/clubs etc, however many smaller restaurants and dai pai dongs do not do this at all.....

so just use common sense judgement and you should be ok.

oysters and sashimi is a big no no unless your in a 4-5 star place!

more info about food in HK on http://www.hongkong-chefs.com

ciao

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

Generally okay. Avoid raw or not well cooked food. There has been reports of mercury poisoning with fish due to pollution but this could happen in any country. Hep A and Hep B vaccinations are recommended.

These are the links to General Travel Health Advice issued by the Canadian Gov't Public Health Agency for Canadians travelling abroad. The U.S. Gov't should have a similar department but I do not have the URL:

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/2001/gastro_e.html

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/travel/advice_e.html

Purchasing travel health insurance is also a good idea.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

Cooked food should be ok except for deep sea fish. Avoid raw or cold food. Even street vendors are ok. They often overcook their food. Taste good! :p

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
345 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

Cooked food should be ok except for deep sea fish. Avoid raw or cold food. Even street vendors are ok. They often overcook their food. Taste good! :p

Cardiff
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Poisoning in Hong Kong

We didn't have any problems even after eating street food. My husband however did get an upset stomach but this was from a restaurant where you cook your own food (Stupid husband used same chopsticks for cooking the raw meat as he did for eating... big no no) I was absolutely fine ( used seperate chopsticks for cooking and eating!)