We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantau in the evening ?

netherlands
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lantau in the evening ?

Hi,

I arrive in HK the 4th of januari and have 6 full days to explore the city. Since the airport is near Lantau island I thought it would be handy to visit Lantau and Tai O the last day and send our luggage ahead (by trainstation-checkin).

Our flight leaves at midnight. My question is: Is there anything to do on Lantau island after dark (on a wednesday) ? Maybe a nice restaurant where we could have a long meal. Other suggestions are very welcome.

And what is the best way to get to the airport from there. Is it easy to get a taxi?

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantau in the evening ?

There isn't much in the way of restaurants in Tai O but from Tai O you can take a bus (fairly frequent service) to Tung Chung on the north side of the island (about 40 mins) or you can take a taxi (about HKD150). At Tung Chung there are several restaurants in the Citygate Outlet Shopping Mall.

http://www.citygateoutlets.com.hk/index.html

Tung Chung is only 10 mins from the airport by bus and there is a frequent shuttle service S1 to the airport from there or again you can easily get a taxi.

Your flight will probably depart from Terminal 1 but it's well worth exploring the recently opened Terminal 2 Skyplaza if you have time. It's only a minutes walk from Terminal 1 and I think the shopping and dining facilities are better and quieter than Terminal 1

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantau in the evening ?

Actually, Lantau is seen as "countryside" from the point of view of local. Hence, if you will go to Tai O, you can stay in some local seafood restaurant then take taxi or bus to airport. However, if more convenient, maybe go back to Tung Chung, namely Citygate shopping mall, will have a lot of choices of restaurant. From the bus terminus there, you can also take frequent bus(costs about HK$3) to go to airport. It depends on your scheduled.

netherlands
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantau in the evening ?

Ok thanks. So the shopping mall it will be - or maybe just straight the airport. I guess it will about the same ;)

4. Re: Lantau in the evening ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, September 16, 2009