We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

Me and husband are both born and rise in HK and have live in US for 20+ years.

Last visit was 10 years ago and this time we are bringing our 5 and 10 years old girls with us.

We will arrive in HK beginning of August for 3 weeks and have booked Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel.

We choose that hotel because we don't like the city so much and I prefer a resort style so the kids

can also enjoy swimming and beaches like the vacation we use to go in the carribean.

I have read most of the post and respond in here and they are very helpful but nothing about this hotel.

I got a really good long stay rate for this hotel and my 1st priority is the pool for kids.

My questions are the hotel had a shuttle bus go to TST every hour. They said it take 35 mins one way,

is that a good estimate? Can anyone tell us is it a good place to stay beside the traffic?

I know it is a long commute but in US, 30 mins commute is nothing. Also, beside the shuttle bus and taxi,

What is an alternative to go back to the hotel at night since the last shuttle from TST to the hotel is at 11pm.

I am more worry on the cleaningness and the environment of the hotel. Will the kids enjoy it?

Can someone also name the indoor mall that will have good kids activities and the parent can go shopping?

I know Ocean park is an a must but is there any others for my girls age?

Any input for kids activities and day camp will be greatly appreciated.

Also, did anyone know where do they have that good waffle with milk and peanut sauce sandwich?

I know in my child time, they are street vendor, do they still exist now?

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

I think 35 to 45 minutes would be a better estimate for the shuttle. There is an overnight bus #N962 running from Causeway Bay via Western Harbor Tunnel (not via TST) to Gold Coast every half an hour. I had stayed overnight in the hotel but was more than 10 years ago, so I can't you anything about the inside of the hotel. The surroundings and the beach are fine, but will be crowded during weekends. No need to worry too much.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

I personally do not like Gold Coast hotel anymore. The whole are is SO old and falling apart. My family holds business functions there each year for the company.... stay overnight too.... let's just say ONE night is enough..... nothing spetacular about it, and certainly NOT internationally resort standard.

It's so far from the city too..... if you are there for a weekend only, it would be tolerable, but any longer, I think you will suffocate. Just my opinion.

The restaurants in the Gold Coast Arcade are terrible, terrible food and terrible service. We went there for a lunch, and just for a stroll on the weekend.... it was crowded, and NO WHERE near resort feeling or atmosphere.

There are lots of hotels with good pool, but resort in HK are still scarce.... HK is not the place to look for a resort in my opinion. rather, you might want to consider looking to service apartments that are beachfront or faces the ocean.....

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

My opinion on the hotel is based about 8 months ago..... does anyone know if it's been renovated lately? Then the story would be different.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

The Metroplaza at MTR Kwai Fong Station is a sizable mall relatively near Gold Coast Hotel, there are shops, eating places and a small children's playground.

New Town Plaza in Shatin, perhaps you have been to there, plenty of shopping and restaurants, and now has a Snoppy's World, more at newtownplaza.com.hk/cybermall/ntp/language…

But avoid weekends as it will be extremely crowded.

Festival Walk on MTR/KCR Kowloon Tong Station is a mall new to you. It is more spacious than the other 2, a not so crowded mall to shop and eat, and there is a ice skating rink too.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
788 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

How about comments on Harbour Plaza Resort Hotel. It is located in Tin Shui Wai and also has a shuttle to Tsim Sha Tsui daily at HK$18 per person. It is located near the KCR LIght Rail Ginza Stop but I have checked, although there is an interchange to WEst Rail (can'r remember the station name) there is no connection to MTR line currently. So the transport in and out of the hotel is just like the Gold Coast, either by shuttle or by taxi.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

There is a bus #969 from Harbour Plaza Resort City Hotel to Causeway Bay. But the hotel is of relatively low quality and not really a resort.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

You can actually connect to the MTR from KCR West Rail at Mei Foo Station or Nam Cheong Station. Taking 3 railways in a row to get to urban! I won't suggest Harbour Plaza Resort City Hotel unless you are on a tight budget.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

By the way, near Gold Coast Hotel, there are buses #962 going to Causeway Bay, #252B and #261B going to Tsim Sha Tsui, which are more frequent than the shuttle bus.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

Sorry but the #252B and #261B buses have sericves only at morning peak hours. This is a silly govt policy to protect the railways. The #61M bus is a regular bus which gets you from Gold Coast Hotel to MTR Stations.

canada
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

If it does not disrupt your children's schooling, try go in September and stay in the new Disney Resort.