We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips?....

bury,lancashire
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips?....

Hi all, One week left until me, my wife and 2 1/2 year old son travel to hk for ten nights at the langham place hotel. Does anybody have any tips to make our trip more enjoyable weather it be on the plane, in the hotel, shopping or whilst out and about in hk? all tips thankfully received....

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips?....

#1 - Take comfortable shoes with you - you will do a lot of walking

#2 - make sure you buy octupus cards they save a load of time fiddling about looking for change.

#3 - Get down to the Tourist Information Office at the Star Ferry Terminal - they have loads of useful information and a very helpful staff.

#4 - Think about booking in at the Servisair lounge at Heathrow so you can relax before the flight. You better check if they will allow young children in tho

That may give you some ideas

bury,lancashire
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips?....

Thanks for that, read your post about your trip, thanks..

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips?....

Hong Kong is a small place. If you have 10 days left, you may be able to go to almost all sights in Hong Kong.

As a local resident of Hong Kong, just suggest some tips for reference.

- Make good use of public transport, e.g. bus, MTR. The service is frequent. Nearly all the places can be connected by just using metro system

- Go to Temple Street. Although it's quite touristy, it is old urban area and full of "Hong Kong" taste. It's near Langham place hotel.

- Try to ask your way actively. Hong Kong lacks confidence of speaking English. Hence, you will find that even tourists stand at the street and look up the map for a long time, people just pass by. But I think Hong Kong is eager to help you but will show a little bit timid.

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips?....

if you have time to spare, you can go to the outlying islands or go to the countryside. see link below

geoexpat.com/hong-kong-guide/…

http://www.hkoutdoors.com/

belfast-UK
Level Contributor
491 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips?....

Steve whats the Servisair lounge like ? we can use it with our priority pass and thanks for the tip about the info office.

jj....

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips?....

Hi JJ

It is well worth the £17.00 - you can pre-book it at www.baa.com or i guess you can just turn up with your priority pass, but if it is full you may not get in. They prvide free drinks, both soft and alcoholic and snacks like crisps, nuts pretzels etc. If you have 2 or 3 hours to spare before your flight, it is far mor comfortable than sitting outside in the general area

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,874 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips?....

Gee, we must have been lucky; when we stood on street corners looking at maps people invariably asked us if we needed help, and one kind lady led us the way about six blocks!

Toilets- if the public toilet seems to only have squat toilets, which some of the smaller places do, and you're not confident about using them (I wasn't, dodgy knees), look around the corner for the handicapped toilet, which we found was usually a Western style toilet.

Be aware that on the maps (took us a couple of days to work this one out), the MTR "stops" are not stops, but entrances which feed into a centrally located station. WHen you get off the trains, look for sign pointing to exits which name streets or buildings in the vicinity you wish to arrive at. Otherwise you could end up blocks away from where you want to be.

Do take at least one trip on the Star Ferry. At night enjoy the Christmas lights which are everywhere. If you can, take a free ride on the Duk Ling junk- you organise this through the HK Tourist Board (you will need to produce your passports).

Perhaps invest in one of those baby harnesses so you can have your little one safe even if he decides he doesn't want to hold your hand and would rather take off and explore on his own. (I had one of these for my daughter the adventure baby as she hated holding my hand, always wanted to go her own way :-) .)

bury,lancashire
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips?....

excellent reply, whilst on the subject of children I considred purchasing a baby carrier that goes on your back like a ruck sack but my toddler weighs 21/2 stone or 35 lb, and I think that may become very heavy in no time at all so decided to take just a light weight stroller instead, what are your thoughts???

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,874 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips?....

There's been a lot of discussion here about strollers, the concensus seems to be you can ue them but you may have to negoitate a lot of stairs (when we were there I remarked to my husband you couldn't accomplish anything in HK without at least ONE flight of stairs :-) ). Due to the hilly terrain, pedestrian overpasses and underpasses, and multi storey buildings (and underground trains), there are stairs and escalators everywhere you go.

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips?....

if it would help, go to the mtr website. the location maps for each station are provided. so you could plan a before you arrive and familiarize yourselves with the exits, the streets etc. the same maps which are relevant to each station are also posted in the station