We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Hi All

I have just returned for a trip to HK and thought I would let you know how it all went.

Travelled to HK from London Heathrow on Air New Zealand. Booked myself into the Servisair Lounge at a cost of £17, just to start the trip off with a degree of comfort. As the airport was absolutely packed with hardly a seat to be had, it was worthwhile.

Flight was pretty good (no welcome pack or welcome drink tho). IFE was very good,food so so.

Arrived HK at 17:00 on Saturday, as usual, transit thru the airport was very efficient. Got on the Airport Express and was in the hotel before 7:00pm.

Checked into the Wharney in WanChai. The room was small and the bathroom miniscule. There was a built in wardrobe with 6 hangars and a very small two drawer cabinet for socks and smalls.

A tip: If you are staying at the Wharney, dont bring too many clothes with you, there is no where to put them !!!!

Sat night - wandered around WanChai, had a couple of drinks in Joe Bananas on Jaffe Road - very reasonable during Happy Hour.

Sunday: Took the ferry to Cheung Chau Island - had a leisurely lunch with frirnds at the harbour - very enjoyable. Spent the afternoon having a wander around the island. There are no cars allowed so it is a very pleasant stroll. Watch out for the electric buggies and the bicycles tho.

Sunday night over to Kowloon for a stroll around the night market

Monday: Ocean Park to see the pandas and the dolphins. Entrance fees is HKD208 and includes all rides. I am not a rides fan, but the kids loved it. I would suggest that if you are going to go, go midweek, not at the weekend when people say it gets absolutely packed. Its a shame that the only food avaiable seems to Western Junk food.

Tuesday - took the ferry from pier #6 to Lantau Island to see the Giant Buddha. If you take this trip, and I seriously suggest that you do, make sure that you have lunch there. It is lovely. Spent a very peaceful afternoon in the monastery before coming back on the MTR. A very enjoyable day. Spent the evening in WanChai avoiding invites into various dubious bars. Golden rule is if you cant see into the bar, dont go in

Wednesday: Went on a bus tour 'The LAnd Between'. This takes you up into the New Territories and away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Great views from the ride up Tao Mo Shan and an interesting visit to FanLing Walled village. I could have done without the stop at the jade factory outlet, but all in all a trip well worth doing.

Weds NIght: Happy Valley Race Course. What a fantastic experience. Racing starts at about 7:15 with 8 races on the card. Came out just about even !

Tip: If you want to get a taxi back to your hotel at the end of the night, leave before the last race - there doesnt appear to be any queuing, it just seems to be a total free-for-all

Thursday: The tourist office publish a booklet of 6 walks. We did the one that covered Central and the Western District - A travel thru time. The walk starts at Sheung Wan (at the end of the Island Line), takes you all thru that area down by the Western Market and the Tear and Herbal Shops and past loads of dried fish shops. It takes in Hollywood road where there are some very good (but pricey)antiques shops - then across to Central and a ride up the mid levels escalator. An interesting walk with plenty to keep you occupied.

In the evening we went to the R66 Revolving Restaurant on 62nd floor of the Hopewell Centre. The view was fantastic, the food, sadly was not. The worst meal we had in HK all week

Friday: Checked out of Wharney hotel. Took a cab to the Star Ferry hopped across and took another cab up to the Kimberly Hotel in TST. I was told that if we had taken a cab from the Wharney to the Kimberly it would have cost us in excess of HKD100 - this way it was less than HKD40. Spent the afternoon at the ladies market in Mong Kok getting last minute gifts. Spent a couple of hours in the peace and tranquility of Kowloon Park.

Saturday: Checked out of hotel - cab across to staion. 1st Airport Express train leaves at 5:50 am, giving us plenty of time to get to the airport. Please note, that there is very little open at the airport before 7:00 am so if you are planning on doing duty free shopping and you have an early flight, think again

All in all a great trip - cant wait to to go back, but, I do not think I would stay at the Wharney again

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

It's happy to read your good comments about Hong Kong.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Hi

Sounds like you had a good trip, makes for an interesting read. I like the idea of doing one of the walks published by the tourist office.

We are flying next week with Air New Zealand from London. Did you check in your luggage at Kowloon station or at the airport? How did you find the airport in comparision to Heathrow, where its complete madness and you seem to have to check in hours before a long haul flight?!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
492 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Hi Steve Benn, thanks for posting your report, I am sol pleased you had good trip, looks like you got around a lot, good for you.

and Thai Traveller I think you will be very pleasantly suprised by Hong Kong Airport especially when comparing it to our Heathrow!!

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

How disappointing with R66 - we had planned to have dinner there.

What type of food is it?

Did you find any good eat places you can recommend. We are staying in Causeway Bay in January.

Thanks, Pat

State of Connecticut
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Did you post your photos on Flickr or Photobucket or anywhere and can you share them with us?

What was the street food like?

What was the smog, air quality? And did it ruin any great views?

Did you eat any good Dimsum anywhere?

Glad you had fun. I'm going for 10 days in January but I'm staying in Central.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Replies:

Thaitraveller - there is no comparison between the sqalor and mayhem of Heathrow and the efficiency and cleanliness of Hong Kong. I checked my luggage in at Kowloon Station - I got there about 5:30 am and deposited my bags and checked in. - Air Newzealand facilty is right at the end shared with Lufthansa. The first airport express train leaves at about 5:50 am and gets you to the airport in about 20 mins. Air NewZealand said that I needed to be checked in by 6:30 am

One thing to note tho is that the duty free shops do not open until about 7:00 am so there is not a great deal of time for shopping before the Air NZ flight to LHR at 8:15 am.

Pat - The food was allegedly a chinese buffet but it was not very good, having said that it was only HKD 98 so not too much lost. We went to a great Shanghai Restauraunt in the World Trade Centre in Causeway Bay called Shanghai Yu Chan - best meal we had all week.

Oxy - had some great dim sum in a place in TST, but sory I cant remember the name of it - it was on Canaervon Road thats all i can tell you . Regarding air pollution - it is pretty bad. We went up to the Peak one evening and we did not have a clear view - I think they may have problems with the Olympics due to the smog. We had some street food in Cheung Cha - it was great but I would advise you to be careful !

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Thank you so much, this has been very informative.

I am getting so excited- 6 weeks from yesterday. My first ever trip over seas.

Pat

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Hi OXY - I have just posted a small selection of pics on to photobucket:-

www.photobucket.com

user name :steve_ben2004

9. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 14, 2009