We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau Currency

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Macau Currency

What currency is used in Macau. We will be doing a day trip from HK.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macau Currency

Their currency is the Pataca (MOP). Officially about 100HK$ = 103 MOP+/-

But in fact no need to change money for a day trip as they will accept HK$ at an 1 for 1 rate. When they return change they might return in their own money. Be aware to get rid of any MOP before you return to HK as there they will not accept MOPs.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,710 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macau Currency

Basically every single private enterprise in Macau accepts HK$, from taxi drivers to Macau tower. The exception is that they will not accept HK$10 coins; HK$10 notes are no problem. All government-run places however insist on patacas. For tourists the most relevant of these would be museums, post offices, admission to performances at the Cultural Centre or other government venues, and in summer the public swimming pools. If you end up needing patacas for something, there are plenty of money changers (with a city-wide set exchange rate, same as the banks), and if you have excess patacas at the end of the trip, either put them towards your ferry fare back to HK, or change them back to HK$ at the exchange booth on the arrivals level of the ferry terminal.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macau Currency

Thanks, thats a great help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macau Currency

I visited Macau for two days and used solely HK$. I even visited Macau Museum which is government run and had no problems.

qc
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Macau Currency

really they would accept HK$ in macau? i'll be there july of 2008 and right now, im a bit researching what do currency they use. and find out that they use pataca but i do have some HK$, and since you guys posted that they used also HK$.. you really help me alot... gracias ^^,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,710 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macau Currency

Yes, nearly all of Macau accepts HK$ - just government operated places like the post office insist on patacas. Mainland Chinese currency (known as either RMB or CNY) is also increasingly widely accepted.

Macau is the only place I know where many bank ATMs give you a choice of three different currencies for withdrawals!

7. Re: Macau Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 pm, September 30, 2009