We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and octopus cards

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and octopus cards

Hey everyone.

We arrive Hng Kong in 3 days time. Hows the weather?

I am curious how the octopus cards work. We will have three adults and three kids (7,8 and 9yr old) Do we need 6 different octopus cards?

Many thanks

Trev

canada
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kids and octopus cards

A belated opinion here, but I hope it will benefit others. The Taxi cost in HKG is not that high, so take 2 taxis, esp with luggage and kids in tow. The only irritation is the "no-stop zones".

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Kids and octopus cards

If all your 3 kids are not taller than 1.3 metres, those 3 kids are counted as 2 persons. And all 6 of you can get on one taxi legally.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kids and octopus cards

Dear Tin

I hope you get this message, because I don't know how else to contact you.

I stayed at Shue Yan College for 4 nights (work related). I was on the 26th Floor. I realized that I was at the highest point on Braemar Hill.

The view in the morning and night was fantastic. From my room, I looked at North Point side and east Kowloon (?). From the other side, I could see Victoria Harbour and the Peak, almost eye level to eye level.

Totally amazing.

Except getting back to Braemar Hill late at night...many buses going up there end early (I didn't know; so ended up taking taxi from North Point).

Thanks again for your advice.

I should have asked you about the 10,000 Buddha temple (Sha Tin) before we went...

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kids and octopus cards

alexiusp - I am glad to hear that you have had a wonderful time in H.K.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Kids and octopus cards

Dear alexiusp,

Glad to hear from you again. The view from Braemar Hill is really amazing, especially when you're on 26th floor. I can only see the view on street level, and because the trees are growing tall, the views are restricted but still can see the Victoria Peak, the harbour and Kowloon.

Hope you'll return to Hong Kong.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kids and octopus cards

Teddy, thanks for the note. Just a short mention, with regards to this thread, sometimes, sometimes, with a family on vacation like mine (2 adults, 2 kids) it is cheaper to take a taxi than a bus or MTR. e.g. from North Point to Braemar Hill! However, once we got a bit used to HK transportation, we found better ways to travel, incl using the Hung Hom bus stop to cross from Kowloon via Harbour to North Point (or Causeway Bay), seriously makes more sense than MTR.

Tin, yes, I was very surprised how magical it was. I was at SY College for work, but was hesitant to accept a room there because it was so far away (i.e.the wife and kids would find it hard to travel while I was working). But overall, it was good. Unfortunately, this option is not possible for others.

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China