We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

spore
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

If price not a factor here , which hotel is better? in terms of location? and accessibility? i be here over the nov weekend....

thanks

uk
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

Hi,

ust got back from HK. Stayed at the royal garden, its a really great hotel, very very clean, everywhere felt very new,and spacious.

The rooms are lovely, and the rooftop pool has amazing views of the harbour.

We found the location excellant, surrounded by shops, and just around the corner from mtr entrance.

Don't know anything about the ymca, alot of people seem to stay there, but we were more than happy with the royal garden,a beautiful hotel.

suzi

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

IMO you will hardly get a more convenient position than the Salisbury. It is right near the Star Ferry. The Royal Garden is ok too positionwise but not as convenient as the Salisbury.

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

just to let you know that are road works going around ymca salisbury last week and they were jackhammering the entrance of ymca (for renovations???)

am not so sure how long the road works will take, plus you did not mention when your planned trip will be so better check first

spore
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

i planning the trip at end Nov.... so i check the roadworks with YMCA?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

ya and also their renovation works in front of their lobby

but if you can live with it... then ignore my post.

happy trip!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

Come on- road digging isn't much noisier than traffic on a major road- if you can bear with that, the addition of some works won't make much difference.

Comparing Royal Garden and YMCA is like comparing apples to oranges. They're in different classes, they have different amenities and... just ain't the same thing! If location is more important than anything to you, YMCA is for you, and if you like amenities, then better stay in RG.

kl
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

I am at the ymca now on the 13th floor habour view room and the view is tdf. The light show just finished an hour ago. I dont know where RG is but ymca is good. Habour is directly in front. Yes there are some road works but it won't affect you if you don't drive. The cab dropped us at the back lobby on Middle Road. Rooms are not luxurious but not too bad and very clean. We keep on looking out the window and have the lights dimmed to soak in the picture postcard view.

spore
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

royal garden quoted me standard room hkd 1300 / night before tax.

if i choose ymca salisbury... u think i should pay more to stay in a partial harbour view/ harbourview instead of standard room?

cos i stayin for 5 nights.. like to have some comfort level too...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

Both hotels are very near the MTR and ferries, but the YMCA is very slightly better (next door to the Peninsular). However the YMCA is only a three star hotel, whilst the RG is five star. Last time I checked a harbour view room at the YMCA costs about the same as a standard room at the RG, so it depends on your priorities. Personally I would prefer to walk an extra two minutes and have the larger, more comfortable room of the RG.

10. Re: The Salisbury - YMCA or Royal Garden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, September 11, 2009