We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Dec 26?

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
What to do on Dec 26?

My boyfriend and I (in our late 20's) will be arriving Hong Kong on Dec 26 evening around 10pm. Just wondering where we can visit at that time for some christmas festivities, seasonal lighting? Also, does Hong Kong has boxing day sale similar to what we have in Canada? Also, any recommendation for a good quality hotel buffet during that time of the year? We will be spending our New Year in Hong Kong. Any good places to be on New Year Eve?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Dec 26?

Arriving Dec 26 around 10:00pm.... meaning you land at 10:00pm? That means you won't check in and settle in your hotel at least until midnight to 1:00am. There will be lighting still to see everywhere in Central, Tsim Sha Tsui.... as a lot of buildings are decorated with lights. Boxing day- we don't really have the same kind of sales like Boxing day in Canada here in HK. They just go on sale, before Christmas, after Christmas, and then major discounts 2 weeks after... and then everything changes into the next season.

Hotel Buffet- EVERY hotel will have buffets for lunch and dinner during the Christmas Season, but they are always prepaid and prebooked about a month ahead if they are the top hotels.

Mid class hotels will have buffets as well, but you will also have to call in advance for reservations or pre pay.

New Year Eve- Times Square in Causeway bay is always annually popular for countdown. And Tsim Sha Tsui Cultural Center....near Star Ferry terminal, also popular. The streets are closed for pedestrians in Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay during New Year's eve, and Christmas.... LOTS of people on the street.

No word about what's the festivities this year, as Disneyland will already be opened as well.... expecting A TON of tourists from China, and Asia abroad. Book everything early is my advice.

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Asia
Asia
World
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Dec 26?

Kate, thanks so much for your prompt response. You are very informative and knowledgeable. I have learned a lot of tips from your input in this forum.

More questions I have for you:

Which dates are considered public holiday in Hong Kong in the month of December 2005 and January 2006? Do most stores closed on public holidays? As I will be visiting Shanghai, Guangzhou, Macau and Japan during my Asia trip, I would schedule these trips accordingly.

Anywhere you would recommend booking my hotel/flight from Hong Kong to Shanghai with? How much approx. would it cost to go for 3-4 days?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Livy

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Macau
Macau
China
Asia
Asia
World
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Dec 26?

Hi Livy,

Christmas holidays and (western) New Year's is a time for business in HK. The shops mainly are all opened for business. Unlike in Chinese New Year, the stores close for 3 - 7 days.....

So no worries for you there. Lots of festivities and happenings during this time ... and it's one of the most expensive times as well. (If not THE most expensive time of the year)

regarding boking flights to Shanghai, do you mean FROM Hk travel agents? The packages from travel agencies from HK .... Hk to shanghai, 3 days 2 nights, or 4 days 3 nights...depending on what star rating your hotel in Shanghai is... it ranges from $ 2500.00 HKD - $ 4000.00 HKD, but for Christmas ... it might be high season. Once you arrive, you can go into Hong Thai Travel, or Wing On Travel, or go to Dragonair website....

http://www.kaholidays.com/kah/hk/showTour.jsp

This is what I usually buy.... I trust this airline the most when flying domestic china.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China