We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

We will be in HK for 5D4N with our 2 kids on 31May, staying at Kimberley. Reaching at 12noon. Besides the half day city tour and complimentary Shenzhen city tour, we would like to visit Ocean Park, Avenue of Stars, Symphony of lights, the peak, Stanley, ladies market, Wong Tai Sin, take the Star Ferry and ride on tram on street. Can someone advise how we should plan itenary? What other places we should'nt miss? Should we get Optus card? Are we better off taking taxi? Is weather bad? Should we take umbrella? Sounds Ah Soh..but with kids, got to be prepared. Do we need 1 day at Ocean Park? How best to go? Should we get tickets at seven11, hotel package or entrance? Need some advice. Thanks.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

I would suggest

Day 1 - Wong Tai Sin, ladies market

Day 2 - Ocean Park (opens 10am to 6pm), bus to Causeway Bay to have dinner, tram ride to Central and ferry to TST

Day 3 - Tsim Sha Tsui (Avenue of Stars, Symphony of lights; Space Museum and Science Museum are also interesting)

Day 4 - ferry to Central, take peak tram to the Peak, bus to Stanley

Day 5 - Shenzhen (but make you have sufficient to get to the airport)

Some pepole might finish Ocean Park in half day, but I think you will find 8 hours' not enough when with kids. Buying tickets anywhere doesn't make much difference, it is ok to buy ticket at the entrance.

It's rainy in May and you need to bring umbrella.

The actual cost of an Octopus card is the HK$7 handling fee when you return the card. 4 cards means HK$28. I guess you won't gain too much with Octopus cards, since most octopus discounts are for MTR, not buses, ferry or trams.

If you want to take a taxi to Ocean Park, better take it from Causeway Bay and tell the driver to go via Aberdeen Tunnel, faster and shorter. Stanley is a long way and taking a taxi there is expensive.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

words running away from the communications line:

Day 5 - Shenzhen (but make *sure* you have sufficient *time* to get to the airport)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Hi Clouds,

You didn't say when you are taking the half day city tour of HK, and when the SZ tour. So I will assume you get to choose.

Tin has a nice suggestion, but I will input mine so you can choose and make your decisions with second opinion.

1) Upon reaching at noon, with 2 kids, I would suggest you just take a walk and get something to eat after you check in around Kimberley area. There are TONS of restaurants there. There are nice restaurants, not too expensive in Miramar Shopping Center, across diagonally from your hotel. There are lots of restaurants in the mall, AND on Knutsford Terrace, which is the more trendy area for eats.

Avenue of Stars, and enjoy the symphony of lights in a harbourview available restaurant. Then when it's over, around 8:30.... take the star ferry over to Central, take the tram up to Peak to see the night view of HK. (If it's a clear sky, and if you are not all too tired.)

2) Next day, I would do Ocean Park. One day. You will be exhausted with 2 kids, and hot and humid weather.

You can eat and shop at night in Harbour City in TST.

3) City Tour half day. I don't know whether it takes you to Stanley Market... if it does, then you don't have to do it again.

In the afternoon to late evening, go to Mongkok for Ladie's Market, have dinner around that area too....or have dinner then go shopping in Ladie's Market after dinner b/c more to see the later it gets. See if your kids can last this long though.

4) Shenzhen on Day 4. I don't really suggest doing SZ on the last day, b/c it's too tiring, it's very exhausting going to SZ, you're on high alert all the time, so many people pushing and running by, going through customs......etc

5) Depending on when you depart for airport, you can go to Wong Tai Sin temple by MTR ...very easy from your hotel.

I think if you DO ALL THIS... you and your kids will be very satisfied, tired, and very well done for a 5 day trip to HK !

Enjoy!~

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Hi Tin, Hi Katetam,

Thank you very much for your suggested itineraries. I am not certain what will be covered in the half day city tour as agent is unwilling to commit. However, it should be on the 2nd day while the Shenzhen complimentary tour should be on the 3rd day. Our flight home will be at 8pm.

Tin, thanks for the info on the handling fee for Octopus card. We shall not get one & I'll bring an umbrella.

Katetam, I like your itinerary. You are very thorough and seem to put a lot of thoughts for my kids. Is it so stressful to go SZ? Is it 'worth' going, I mean with kids in tow? Of course, if it is just me & hubby, we'll definitely go. Tour agent (Win's Travel) will bring us there but we have to make our way back to hotel.

Read about the Typhoon & thunderstorm. Should we encounter one, what should we do? Instead of spoiling our holiday, any suggestions for alternative safe indoor activities/places for us?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Hi Clouds,

I am a mother myself, and I have lots of family, lots of kids in family and friends' families.... it's my first alarm... when travelling with kids, what is possible, and what is more comfortable.

Shenzhen, if it's a full day tour, they will probably bring you there by bus? Then to the world of window...etc... (don't know what's called in English, just copying others).... and then lunch, and Lo Wu Shopping center.... then if you are on your own to get back, that means either they will provide you a bus ride back to Kowloon drop off spot, and you have to go back to Hotel yourselves, or do they so irresponsibily make you go back to Kowloon on your own ? ( I don't really imagine so, but since it's complimentary, you never can be too surprised).

I think it's exhausting. Many people I know go back and forth SZ all the time everyday for work, for pleasure...etc. I personally don't like it. I am on high alert each time I go.....if you are with a bus tour all the time, I think it's alright to go with the kids. My general suggestion, don't go with your kids if you are going to be left on your own. It's too chaotic and potentially dangerous. Some will think I am being paranoid, but you ask me, that's my opinion.

There is so much to do and see in HK if this is your first trip here..... you won't miss out too much with the kids NOT going to SZ.

Indoor activity- depending on HOW bad weather you are talking about... b/c if typhoon 8, or Red rain or Black rain signal, many stores and business close down. So nowhere to go except stay home for us.

If yellow rain, or typhoon 3.... just indoor shopping center, museums, galleries, and indoor playland in shopping centers.

Cross your fingers for good weather!

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Thanks Katetam,

I'll try to get more information from the Singapore agent about the 2 city tours. Tried to, but they kept saying it's up to their HK agent's discretion.

I heard from a friend that agent may bring us to shops selling medical products/healing stones and diagnosing us with certain illness, will persuade us to buy their stuff.

Also heard from another friend that it is very difficult to find a public toilet in HK, even in MTR stations and shopping centres. Is that true?

Regards.

Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

Hello,

Can anybody advise me if it is worth going up the Peak a second time in the evening/night on our own if our half day city tour includes a trip to the Peak in the day?

Is the MTR usually so crowded that it is 'packed like sardine' ?

Where can I get small change easily upon reaching Hong Kong?

What denominations of notes should I change into?

Thanks n Regards.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

1. I would say yes, it's worth a second trip in the evening to the Peak to see the night scene. It's like going up to Mt. Faber during the day and at night. You'll find more information about the Peak at www.thepeak.com.hk.

2. There are public toilets at most shopping malls and department stores.

3. The MTR is usually busy and quite full but not bad except during rush hours, which is typical and no different from other major cities.

4. The smallest denomination is $10. Large denomination notes are well accepted and should not need to worry. Bring your ATM card with you and you'll be able to withdraw cash from most ATM's in H.K. so long as your bank is affiliated with one of the major networks, e.g., cirrus, plus, visa.

5. Since there are four of you, you may as well share a taxi. They are all metered and unlike SIN, there are no rate variation depending on time and day. During my last visit to SIN, all taxis appear to vanish and to have evaporated from the island at 11:30PM, only to re-surface after midnight so that they can impose the surcharge! I arrived on early Sunday evening and was told that there was a S$5 surcharge at Changi. So many rules but none of that in H.K. Don't worry.

6. The unused value in the Octopus card is fully refundable, including the $50 deposit on the card. On departure, just go to the MTR kiosk at the airport to surrender the Octopus card for refund. Yes, I'd recommend that you each purchase an Octopus card as it is accepted at many places, e.g., 7-11, Fairwood, etc., so it's really convenient if you just want to purchase a bottled water and do not have to fiddle with change.

7. Is airport/hotel transfer included in your package? For additional guided local tours, you may go to www.discoverhongkong.com.

8. Have a great trip!

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 5D4N HK Family with 2 Kids

It is true that there are no freely accessible toilets in MTR stations, which is a policy that I disagree.

If you have an urgency in MTR, you have to ask for staff assistance, they will take you to a staff toilet.