We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Topic
Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Can someone let me know how convenient the Royal Park at Shatin would be for a first time vistor to Hong Kong with regard to getting to most tourist attractions.

Tks

Mentioned in this post
Shatin
Shatin
70 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

While Shatin has some things to see and do, being stuck there as a first time visitor is NOT a good idea.

Find a hotel in Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui being better, or HK island.

Mentioned in this post
Shatin
Shatin
70 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,474 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Thanks drumbrake, will try these areas.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Why do you say so Drumbrake?

I am a first time traveller and have the hotel booked JUST becasue of the distance from Kawloon. I wanted a nice hotel and right price which you cant really do in the city centre. What I could gather from the forum/maps/other sources Hotel is located in a quite convinient place even though it is a bit far from everything.

You can get 21A bus from the airport which drops you right at the doorstep, and KCR is there everytime you need to get somewhere!

It is maybe not for people who want to have all the nightlife or attractions at a walking distance but then is it really possible to do it in Hong Kong?

Liek I said I am not arguing as you guys prolly know way more than ma (especially that I have never been there hehe) and I base all the info on my own research but I would like to hear your oppinion. Even for my won sake as I have the hotel booked already ;-)

Mentioned in this post
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

tkrysiak, If you're not bothered about waking up to a harbour view then Sha Tin is not a bad location. Getting about HK is quick and easy and the KCR will get you to Tsim Sha Tsui East right on the harbourside in little over 15 mins or by changing to the MTR you can be on HK Island in around 25 mins. There are good bus services and it's also very close to some of HK's most attractive scenery in Sai Kung and the Sai Kung Country Park which you can reach by 299 bus. Sha Tin itself is I think Hong Kong's best New Town. Lots of high rise apartment blocks but nice parks, waterside location (the Shing Mun Channel) and a good shopping centre in New Town Plaza. There are also some tourist attractions there, the excellent Heritage Museum, Ten Thousand Buddhas Temple and the racecourse. I sometimes stay with relatives even further out from central HK and don't find it too much of an inconvenience owing to the excellent public transport system and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself and probably see a side of HK you wouldn't otherwise see.

Incidentally if you mean you're also staying at the Royal Park it's the number A41 bus which goes past there from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Tsim Sha Tsui East
Tsim Sha Tsui East
1,194 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Sai Kung
Sai Kung
1,157 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Town Plaza
New Town Plaza
167 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Heritage Museum
Hong Kong Heritage Museum
480 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

SolentTraveller, you are right it is the 41A that goes to Sha tin, my bad ;-)

Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

I will be having another look at staying at the Royal Park in Sha Tin.

We require two rooms and this option was good in that sense. As for travelling 15-25 mins to city centre and HK Is I'm sure we can do this. As we would like to see the Harbour at night and maybe do a trip to HK Is at night also, would travelling back to Sha Tin on public transport late evening be safe or would a taxi be an option? Does anyone know what an approx. cost of a taxi would be coming back to Sha Tin(We are a party of 2a2 teens.)

Tks

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

I'm not saying Shatin is bad, just not really great for a first time visitor. If the rates are good, then go for it.

To get to the centre is more like 45 minutes, and invoves a change of trains at Kowloon Tong or Tsim Sha Tsui.

Taxi from Tsim Sha Tsui to Shatin is around HK$100, although public transport runs till past midnight and is very safe.

The shopping centre in Shatin (New Town Plaza) is very very busy but has lots of shops.

The Shing Mun river smells pretty bad, although the waterfront park is ok. 10 000 buddhas is worth visiting, also have pigeon at the Lung Wah hotel. There are some other restaurants in the New Town Plaza.

If I was going to HK for the first time I'd want to be somewhere central (TST prob) so that I could have a walk along the harbour in the evening and then walk back to my hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Shatin
Shatin
70 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Kowloon Tong
Kowloon Tong
33 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,474 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Town Plaza
New Town Plaza
167 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Thanks drumbrake, your advise has been taken onboard.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Thanks for the info drumbrake, I have to admit that most important reason why I booked in Sha Tin was the price. I wasnt able to find a "decent" (in my oppinion) hotel closer to towan at suc ha reasonable rates. We will see how it goes, I will let you know after I come back ;-)

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Hello tkrysiak. I look forward to your report on Royal Park. When do you go?