We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantau Island/Monastry

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Lantau Island/Monastry

Hi there,

We are travelling from Scotland to visit Hongkong soon, one place I would really like to visit is the Monastry on Lantau Island. The travel agent from Scotland would book this trip for us, but at a price of nearly ��50.00 each. They also say it is a full day trip. Is this trip easily accessible on our own? and would it really take a full day? We are staying at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford if someone could maybe tell us the best way to get there. Or, would we better to go through our tour operator? I would appreciate any information anyone can give me regarding this tour.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantau Island/Monastry

Airport to Hotel: Take the Airport Express Train to Kowloon Station. From there, take the #K4 free shuttle bus to the hotel. The AET runs every 12 minutes and the journey is about half an hour. The K4 shuttle bus runs every 24 minutes and use your arrival flight's boarding pass as your ticket. I suggest that you should consider purchasing the Tourist Transport Pass (similar to the London Transport Visitor Oyster Card). Go to www.mtr.com.hk for further information. You may even order your tickets in advance with your credit card and receive a discount. Alternatively, you may hire a taxi from Kowloon Station. Taxis are plentiful in H.K., they are all metered and the fare is not expensive, comparing to other similar cities and particularly the price of petrol these days!

As for Lantau and the Monastry, the Hong Kong Tourism Board operates two tours to Lantau, as well as various others around Hong Kong. I suggest that you go to www.discoverhongkong.com to browse the online brochure and you are able to book directly over the Internet. The Monastry is not difficult to get to, you may ask for directions at the hotel if you decides to go there on your own. The tours will also take you to other spots on Lantau also which you may find difficult to do on your own.

Need further information, post again.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantau Island/Monastry

Visiting Lantau is fairly easy and can be done on your own. A fellow visitor has written a review on how he did this, and can be viewed here by clicking "Attractions" and then "Lantau Island". However, Lantau Island is a relatively remote area and the transportation are not as frequent as in the urban areas. So, it would be better if you can make a note on the bus and ferry timetable before you go.

The Lantau bus timetable can be found at http://www.newlantaobus.com/mainpage.htm

and the ferry timetable can be found at

http://www.nwff.com.hk/english/nwff100000.asp

To go to Lantau Island, you can do it by bus, rail or sea. Perhaps to try both, you can go by rail and return by sea.

The most direct way is to take bus route number 1R directly from Tsim Sha Tsui to Ngong Ping (where the Monastery is). The bus originates from Hung Hum Ferry Concourse, and has a stop at New World Centre, Salisbury Road, about half a mile from your hotel. But this service is only available on the morning of Sundays and public holidays!

The MTR underground railway will take you to Tung Chung on the northern part of Lantau. At MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station, take MTR on the Tsuen Wan Line northbound towards Tsuen Wan. Change train at Lai King Station for the Tung Chung Line. This is very easy, you just alight the train and walk to the other edge of the platform. Take the train to its terminus at Tung Chung Station. The bus terminus is just next to the MTR station. Take bus number 23 to Ngong Ping, the centre part of Lantau Island. Alight at the terminus and you will see the Big Buddha outside the Monastery.

Mui Wo on the eastern part of Lantau Island has ferries going to Central on Hong Kong Island or Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. Lantau bus number 2 will take you from Ngong Ping to Mui Wo, just next to the ferry pier. There are frequent ferries between Mui Wo and Central, but ferries between Mui Wo and Tsim Sha Tsui are available only on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays and are less frequent. If you take a ferry to/from Central, you can use the Star Ferry to go between Central and Tsim Sha Tsui.

You may also be interested to visit the small rural village in Tai O on the western part of Lantau Island. There are buses linking Tai O with Ngong Ping, Mui Wo and Tung Chung.

I would go on my own, and transportation would costs me less than 10 pound sterlings for this full day trip.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantau Island/Monastry

Sheppy, my family and I visited Lantau Island last October.

We used public transport exclusively, namely, ferry from Central to Lantau, and then the # 2 bus to the monastery. We made the return journey by the same means.

It could not have been easier.

We didn't pre-book and we had no problems whatsoever.

It was very 'cheap' to do and very worthwhile and memorable.

We also had lunch in the vegetarian cafe at the monastery. Again, cheap and enjoyable.

Do the trip on your own. It will be fine.