We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duty free

I will be going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks and want to know what is the dollar limit in purchases one is allowed to take back into USA without paying any taxes? I will be there about 3 days. Also, is there a problem in bringing back baked goods or other cooked foods?

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free

Hong Kong is generally a tax-free place. There is no dollar limit in purchases for you to leave Hong Kong without paying any taxes. However, you have to check weather the US has any limit on the purchases you are allowed to bring into the US without paying any US taxes.

Although Hong Kong is generally a tax-free, the noticable exception is cigerettes and alcohol. There is no problem if you but legal cigerettes and alcohol in Hong Kong, which the taxes are already included in the purchase price, and no need to pay tax to bring them out of Hong Kong. However, there are some illegal cigarettes which have not taxed, usually with a lower retail selling price, don't leave Hong Kong with them. The legal cigarettes have on their package a Hong Kong government cigarette health hazard warning wordings, but the illegal ones don't.

There may be regulations in Hong Kong about bringing out baked goods or other cooked foods, I'm not sure about them, but I guess the regulations in the US about bringing baked goods or other cooked foods into the US are probably stricter, so you'd better check them.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free

dennis923 - best to direct your questions to local U.S. custom before departure or post in the US forum.

LAX
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free

I believe it's U.S. $800 you can bring back in items per person.

I brought back some cookies I bought at the airport with no problem.

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free

can I bring back food from HK to the US that is PACKAGED? I love the types of chips they have in ASIA~ like PEKING DUCK and flavors like that~ SO GOOD!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free

it is only 800 usd after 7 days

you better check the website

LAX
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free

It's $800.

cbp.gov/xp/…duty_free_exemption_increase.xml

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free

hi dennis..i phoned a friend of mine in the us..and advised you better call the us border to find out...likely the exemption may be only 200 because you were only gone for about 3 days..there are special countries in which you can be exempt..check it out

i work for customs here in canada it is only 750 cad after 7 days..so i would double check

the website is kinda sketchy