We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

I have been looking at flight costs recently to Hong Kong and somebody suggesting looking at Oasis Airways.

On first investigation it looked very good - I found a fare of £89 each way - fantastic. Then the tax was added on - bringing the flight cost up to £294. Still not so bad. Then i looked into it a little more carefully.

Although you were provided with two hot meals and free tea and coffee, any drinks and snackes were chargeable - about £2 for a beer and £4 for a small bottle of wine. On a 12 hour pluse flight I would expect to have mayve a small bottle of wine and perhaps 2 beers - total £10

The last thing that i discovered is that Oasis will charge you £15 to pre-book your selected seat or £60 if that selection happens to be an exit row.

So the bottom line cost works out at £178 for the tickets, £116.29 for the tax, £20 for a couple of drinks each way and £120 to pre-book the seat - a grand total of £429.26

Maybe its not so cheap after all

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

And, btw, I managed to book a flight on a scheduled airline, for the dates that I wanted for £349 - and have already pre-booked my exit row seat

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

Considering everyone have to pay the same amount of tax, it's still reletively cheaper. Of course they would advertise the fare as cheap as possible, this is just the way of business.

Oasis's business model is to pay more to get more. For example, not everyone needs a pre-booked exit row seat, but rather try out their luck in online check in. £120 saved. It's not essential to drink alcohol onboard, right? another £20. That alone brings the cost down to less than £300. What about the time cost for being stuck in the LHR madhouse both ways? Transport? And the (by consensus) better Asian service?

Afterall, if you're seeking for a lot of free perks, Oasis isn't designed to be your cup of tea in the beginning. However, if you're looking for cheap, little frills service (Like JetBlue, I guess, since I haven't flown on either), you're in the right place. Your choice.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

What Oasis is doing is similar to what some of the US carriers are doing. They will give you a rock bottom basic fare, but any amenities will be charged. It's a good business model if done properly in my opinion. After all, the user who wants the extras is the one who pays the premium.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

i think that my beef is with regard to to the hidden extras and I just wanted to make other travellers aware of them

London, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

I flew with Oasis to HK in March 2007 and I must say the service was great both ways. The Oasis business model is obviously along the lines of other 'No Frills' carriers who charge for additional services. That said, I would certainly not tar Oasis with the same brush as some of the European no frills carriers as their service is 100x better.

As with all 'cheap' airlines, it's always worth checking with the regular airlines for a price comparison.

newcastle,england
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

I also travelled with Oasis to Hong Kong in March and found the service as good as I needed. We paid about £270 and that's the reason we went. I'm very lucky as I can sleep when required so I don't need to order extra refreshment. I'm impressed that Steve found a scheduled airline so close to the price (£349) as I thought it would be double that. If I'd known before hand I may well have paid the difference rather than take the risk of the buget airline. Having now flown with Oasis I would do it again. You can book your seats free with Oasis (we went for extra leg room) but you have to do it on line and quite late.

I did email Oasis commenting favourably on our trip and was amazed to get a reply from the CEO himself which was a nice touch.

7. Re: Oasis Airways - not really so cheap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 06, 2009