We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food

Is the food safe to eat in HK and Shenzhen? I mean food from a side stall etc... Is there food we would have to be careful to avoid.

Is it quite cheap to eat a meal out in a restaraunt?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food

stalls along road sides will depend on your stomach, you'll have to judge yourself. i eat pretty much anything if the stall itself looks clean enough.

one way to judge is the flow of people, if there are little to nobody buying, don't buy. another point to take is that if the food is served hot, most prob it is safe to eat since heat kills most bacteria.

other than that, i would say road side food in hong kong should be safer than shenzhen.

Ten
Brisbane
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food

Thanks again Zwean you are most helpful. I am sure I will be speaking with you again soon. As I have never been to HK before and would like to find out as much info as I can before I go. Thanks

toronto
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food

i would be very careful to only eat at big restaurants in Shenzhen unless you know specifically of safe small restaurant/vendors from a trusted source.

Shenzhen is much more lawless than hong kong and you often read about unsanitary conditions and reusing food and even fake flour, industrial coloring in foods.