We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain!!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
184 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Rain!!

Forecast shows 80% chance of rain in Hong Kong for next 15 days

Does it rain that much?

And non stop?

20 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain!!

Yes, sometimes.

No. On and off.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain!!

80% chance of rain means it may rain or it may not rain but there’s more likelyhood that it will rain than won’t. If it does rain it may rain for one minute of the day or it may rain all day but either way the weather forecaster can’t be accused of getting it wrong.

In fact the forecast for the next few days is for occasional showers and thuderstorms;

info.gov.hk/gia/…P2018061100679.htm

United States
Level Contributor
97 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain!!

When I went to HK last summer I had this exact same forecast and was worried, but all it means is that there is an 80% chance of rain sometime, somewhere in the HK SAR.

It means you have to plan your schedule around the weather to some extent, but it doesn't mean that it is going to be raining where ever you are, 80% of the time.

We still had a great time, despite the rain, and could do everything we wanted to do except walk around the road loop at the Peak.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
184 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain!!

Most of the activities that we have planned and most of of tourists have, are outdoor such as Disney, Ocean Park, Peak, going to Macau. These require to start early from hotel. My point it that there is hardly anything you can plan around to stay dry. If we try to avoid rain, we can't do pretty much anything.

How people manage then?

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain!!

For a localised forecast (as far as its possible to predict) for specific tourist attractions and destinations in HK refer to Hong Kong Observatory’s “Hong Kong Weather Information for Tourists” website;

http://visithk.weather.gov.hk/index_e.htm

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain!!

RE: How people manage then?

Bring an umbrella. Lives go on. It rains often in Hong Kong, a fact to get used to being in a sub-tropical region.

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain!!

Agree with above carry an umbrella - we always carry travel umbrellas - useful in the rain and for shade.

Plan your trip so you have places you can visit undercover as well as the usual ones outside - e.g History Museum, Science Museum, Heritage Museum, etc etc

A flexible itinerary will ensure you have plenty of options

Good luck

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
37 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain!!

born in UK and live in HK for over 20 years. I can say do not worry about rain. Most of the time heavy rain passes quickly and at most half a day. However if there is a tropical storm then it can last a whole day, but you can usually an ahead.

Bring umbrella or buy when you get here. If it rains pop into a mall, there are malls everywhere.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
184 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain!!

Thanks everyone for contribution. I observed that nobody has regretted about their plans because of rain. So, it must be manageable to follow - Umbrella is the solution!!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
91 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain!!

may seem a strange question but is it cold rain in June? In England when it rains it brings down the temperature a lot and the rain is cold I know in some tropical countries I have been to before even if it rains the temperature just drops slightly, often a welcome relief.

Reply to: Rain!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted