We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport express

5 posts
Save Topic
Airport express

Hi,

I am planning to check in my luggage at Kowloon station on my last day then go to Lantau island before catching the 6.55pm flight home. In this case, do I need to purchase the airport express ticket or I should just use the octopus card? If I purchase the airport express ticket, does it allow me to get out at Tsing Yi station to get to Lantau island then back at Tsing Yu to catch the train to airport?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,835 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Lantau Island
Lantau Island
5,079 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsing Yi
Tsing Yi
48 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
2 replies to this topic
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport express

You can use Octopus Card or Airport Express ticket, group ticket or travel pass to enter the In-Town Check In area and check in your luggage. The Octopus fare is slightly cheaper than a single journey ticket if you are travelling alone and Octopus Card provides free MTR connection to Kowloon Station.

Officially, you are not allowed to disembark at Tsing Yi when travelling in the airport direction on the Airport Express. Instead, after checking in luggage at Kowloon Station take the MTR Tung Chung Line from Kowloon to its terminus at Tung Chung on Lantau.

If you don’t want to forfeit the fare for the Airport Express ticket you can take the Airport Express from Kowloon to Airport Station then take frequent bus fares S56 or S1 from the airport to Tung Chung, fare HK$3.5, journey time about 9 mins (S56) or 16 mins (S1). However this is less convenient and would take a little longer than taking MTR direct from Kowloon Station to Tung Chung.

Mentioned in this post
Airport Express
Airport Express
11,208 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,751 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,835 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsing Yi
Tsing Yi
48 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
136 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport express

All in all travelling via the airport will easily take 30 mins longer than just taking the Tung Chung line (time walking from train to bus stop plus finding the bus stop, waiting for the bus, time on the bus), and you save only $13.4 ($16.9 MTR fare Kowloon to Tung Chung minus the bus fare).

Not worth the time and effort, imho.

Mentioned in this post
Tung Chung
Tung Chung
136 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,751 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel