We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stop over Hong Kong

toronto
1 post
Save Topic
stop over Hong Kong

I will be travelling August/2005 and my flight has a stop over Hong Kong Airport for approx. 6 hours. Any recommendation to kill time, sight seeing, quickes way to get to The Peak as recommented by friend Must see attraction. It will help me out a lots with 3 kids under 11.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: stop over Hong Kong

The fastest way to the Peak is to take the Airport Express Railway from airport to Hong Kong Station. Trains run every 12 minutes and the journey time is about 25 minutes. You can benefit from the day return ticket which is only HK$100 for adult, HK$50 for child aged 3 to 11, children under 3 are free.

At the Hong Kong Station, take a short taxi ride to the Peak Tram Station less a mile away, costs about HK$15. Peak Tram costs HK$20 for adult, HK$6 for child aged 3 to 11, children under 3 are free. The views from the peak tram are good.

There are 2 commercial building at the Peak containing restaurants, shops, Madame Tussauds wax portraits exhibition, games and lookouts. See http://www.thepeak.com.hk. You kids can spend several hours there.

On the way back, you may take the peak tram or a bus (route 15). The bus goes to Exchange Square Bus Terminus which is just adjacent to Hong Kong Station where you can take the Airport Express back to the airport. Route 15 bus costs HK$9.20 for adult, or HK$4.60 for child aged 4 to 11, children under 4 are free. Frequency 7 to 20 minutes, journey time about 35 minutes.

When you arrived Hong Kong, there are money changers just after the customs. Currently C$1 = HK$6.3

Level Contributor
4,197 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stop over Hong Kong

I assume that you have 6 hours is from your scheduled arrival time to your scheduled departure time? If so, you will only have at best about 4.5 hours to allow time for immigration and security inspection on both arrival and departure. Frankly, it's a little bit tight to dash a quick trip to the Peak with three young children, particularly if you do not know the city well. I suggest that you may want to consider simply taking a roundtrip on on the airport buses (called "Cityflyer" with the "A" prefixes" from the airport arrival (Ground Transportation Centre) to the final destination and return on the same bus. They are all air conditioned double decker buses. Your children will probably find it exciting on the upper deck. It will give you a flavour of the city and some sight seeing. Go to www.hongkongairport.com and click on Transport button.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stop over Hong Kong

Or perhaps go the Tung Chung, the nearby new town, or even better, to Tai O, nicknamed "Venice of Hong Kong".

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stop over Hong Kong

just my opinion, I think 6 hours stopover, and with 3 kids under 11... I think you are in for a real rush if you are going to the Peak. It's quite far away, and not exactly easy to travel with 3 kids in the hot summer all that way.... and then rush back to the airport and make it before boarding closes?