We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hour layover in hong kong

11 posts
Save Topic
10 hour layover in hong kong

Hi

I have a layover from 7am to 5pm in Hong Kong. Since it is in november, I am wondering how the weather would be in general. I am planning to visit 1. either the avenue of stars or the central pier (any suggestions?) and 2. tian tan buddha.

As some of the blogs on this website have stated, people usually cover The Peak with central pier, but I am more interested in seeing Tian Tan Buddha. So, is this even doable in 7 hours (3 hrs for airport formalities), given that these 2 places are far from each other.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

You can. The Big Buddha opens at 10 am. So it makes sense to visit the Central Pier first.

Take the Airport Express train from Airport to Hong Kong Station. Walk to the Central Piers in about 10 minutes. Walk around the Central Promenade. Get some fresh air in early morning. Generally it takes 1 to 2 hours.

Back to Hong Kong Station, take the regular MTR train to Tung Chung Station (end to end). You can take the Ngong Ping 360 cable car up to Ngong Ping, or the Lantao Bus 23 to the same place, or a blue taxi. The journey takes generally 1 hour. NP 360 opens at 10 am on weekends and 9 am on weekdays. There may be a queue at the opening. I think the queuing time would be 1 hour in worst case? Depending on the date you go.

Afterwards, you should have plenty of time to get back to the airport.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,405 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

There can be long queues at Tung Chung for the cable car up to Ngong Ping

Bus 15 goes from Central up to the Peak

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

The Avenue of Stars is not open. Some of the displays have been moved to the Garden of Stars.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,687 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

With this tight layover time, I would not recommend going to The Peak. OP said it is not their interest anyway. Once you include The Peak, your whole layover itinerary will become very rush and a bit risky.

Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

I will be in HK for the day on Dec 23 dropped from a cruise ship. I would like a private tour, one person, to be dropped early evening at the Airport. Suggestions? Price?

Gary H sanmyn at yahoo com

Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

I will be in HK for the day on Dec 23 dropped from a cruise ship. I would like a private tour, one person, to be dropped early evening at the Airport. Suggestions? Price?

Gary H sanmyn at yahoo com

11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Nurioopta, ThanksSocialSecurity - I don't think that I will take the cable car to Tung Chung.

I will just do the central promenade and the buddha. I was considering avenue of stars before, but I don't think I can fit it in my schedule.

HappyFeet1234 - Appreciate the detailed response. I think I will mostly follow the itinerary you suggested.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

If you are at the Big Buddha then the quickest way to get back to Tung Chung is the cable car (25 mins). The bus takes about an hour.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,639 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 hour layover in hong kong

The Avenue of Stars is closed for renovation. I think I said that in my reply.

Reply to: 10 hour layover in hong kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted