We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Kowloon distance

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
East Kowloon distance

Hey all -

I'll be in Hong Kong for 8 days in September and we will be staying in Kowloon East due to getting a great hotel price, and that my girlfriend would prefer to stay in a "quieter" place. I know it's a bit far from most tourist attractions, but is it that bad if you're only leaving and returning once (at most) each day?

Our plan would be to leave at 10am and return around 7pm on some days, or leave at 1pm and return late at night on some other days to avoid rush hour.

Some of the savings could be used for taxi fares when in a pinch, and I'd still come out way ahead.

Has anyone done this before?

Edited: 5:17 pm, August 22, 2017
Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,861 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON
#3 of 734 hotels in Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
#5 of 734 hotels in Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
#8 of 734 hotels in Hong Kong
10 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
6,406 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Kowloon distance

What hotel are you staying at in East Kowloon?

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: East Kowloon distance

Crowne Plaza

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East Kowloon distance

Although the name of the hotel implies its in East Kowloon, Tseung Kwan O is actually in the New Territories. Not the most convenient of locations for getting around although the hotel is located directly above an MTR station. Its a pretty quiet location with not much to do in the vicinity of the hotel but if you do as you intend and go out "for the day" the good deal you have on the price may compensate for the inconvenience of the location.

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,861 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
20,205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: East Kowloon distance

Thanks, I kinda figured that. Even if I get sick of public transit and have to spend some money on cabs, I'm coming out ahead at the end.

I've looked at maps, timetables, etc. but was hoping to get a report from someone who has actually stayed in this area and commuted in (nearly) daily.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
6,406 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Kowloon distance

If uninterested in the knowledge/advice from local experts who know the area, you can read the reviews from tourists (see link) who have stayed at Crowne Plaza.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29…

Some comment that its 30+ minutes commute by MTR which is pretty much accurate depending on where you want to go from Tseung Kwan O. Note that taxis in Hong Kong are quite affordable and generally speaking very reliable. It is an option many will be happy to make if/when staying at this particular property.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,863 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Kowloon distance

Note that TKO isn't exactly quiet. The hotel is connected to a shopping mall where all the locals go. If you use MTR into more central areas of the city, rush hour means packed trains. Either be prepared for the crowd or leave before or after rush hour. Buses also face heavy traffic.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
20,205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: East Kowloon distance

The few time I was in Tseung Kwan O I always found it pretty dead. That's probably because I prefer to stay outside and avoid weekends, and everything (really EVERYTHING) there is indoors. There's nothing out on the streets - life happens indoors. Hardly any street level shops, it's mostly malls. Developments are mostly podium type.

On weekends those malls, including the one your hotel is attached to, will be packed - in part because there's nothing else to do in the area.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Kowloon distance

Indeed, nothing of tourist interest in TKO. But it isn't so bad if you are prepared for the commute everyday. Just avoid 7:30 to 9:00 am (both train and road) and you should be fine. (Evening rush heading back is relatively less crowded.)

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: East Kowloon distance

Thanks, that's our plan leave at 10am and return around 7pm, or leave at 1pm and take a cab back late at night if needed once in a while.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,863 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Kowloon distance

Leaving at 10am is probably ok. Returning at 7pm seems early and even unnecessary. All you can do then is eat dinner at the mall. MTR runs past midnight so you can stay out a bit later.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
20,205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Reply to: East Kowloon distance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted