We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to daze carvings

Which Chongqing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to daze carvings

How much would a taxi to dazu cost? How much to hire a car for a day? Don't need guide just car and driver and prefer driver don't speak English. Can u hire a taxi by the day. How much.?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

About 280 KM round trip, hired car costs 800-1000 RMB all-included for a day. Foreigner will be quoted higher.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

Ok thks for info. If I rent a car and driver is there anything worth stopping to c on the way to dazu being I have the driver and car for a day. Much appreciated.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

No, there's not anything worth stopping for on the way to Dazu. If there are only one or two of you and you don't mind public transport, there's another way and it's much cheaper and quite easy:

1) From Chongqing Caiyunba Bus Station, take a bus to Dazu. This is the bus station right next to the main Chongqing downtown train station. I bought a ticket on a walk-up basis for the first bus out 07:20. Per my notes, other buses were at 08:00, 10:00, 12:00. Your hotel could also procure these for you the day before. Cost: RMB 46.

2) Trip to Dazu takes about 2.5 hours with a couple of very brief stops outside Chongqing. At Dazu bus station, follow passengers out the exit and around to the front, pick up a taxi from the main street to Baodingshan (main) site. I got one right away. Cost: RMB 30.

3) Taxi will drop you at the entry/parking area...from where you can do a pleasant and simple walk (check out the big site map) to the ticketing area. Get taxi driver's business card with phone in case you need to recall later.

4) Tour site. I did both Baodingshan + adjacent Shengshousi Temple (highly recommended), total of about 2.5 hours.

5) Back at entrance/parking area, no taxis waiting, but guardhouse gatekeeper offered to have one of the waiting minibuses take me back to Dazu Bus Station for RMB 40, which I agreed to. No waiting.

6) Dazu Station: purchased ticket on walk-up basis for immediate departure back to Chongqing: RMB 45. Buses leave every 1/2 hour for Chongqing until 18:00. Back at Caiyunba Bus Station 2.5 hours later.

Total cost by bus + local taxi: RMB 161. Buses are fairly comfortable, clean, a/c and no smoking.

Edited: 5:45 pm, May 24, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

U the man. That's what I call good precise info. Tiks and I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your info as these Chinese r getting outrageous with some of their pricing.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

I hear you about pricing. One thing I didn't mention: tickets for Dazu aren't cheap but IMO, worth it. You can buy separate for the sites, or various combination of bundled sites at a bit of a discount. The Baodingshan + Shengshousi Temple together (the option I chose) was RMB 130 but I felt it was fair value. This was in mid November 2011, which is still in high season pricing. (Winter December through February I think tickets are significantly discounted).

Chongqing, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

Hi,I am in Chongqing and local people.I just sent Ms.Teo to Dazu who knew her here.It is my pleasure if i can bring you to Dazu.

More information,please contact me by email:

21394976@qq.com

MOB:0086-18723002170

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

Ok I will write u after I finish my visit to dazu to tell u how it went. Thks again for excellent info.

Chongqing, China
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

I have been to almost 20 countries, I exactly know what you need. I will be your driver and guide when you visit our city---------Chongqing. My private car is Ford, Focus model.4 passenger+1 driver.

I provide service as follows:

*hotel booking

Five stars hotel: USD100-110/standard room

www.empark.com.cn/cq01/

www.empark.com.cn/cq02/

http://www.cqouruijj.com/

Four star Hotel:

www.donghehotel.com

*air ticket, train ticket booking

*renting car

*pickup airport

*business assistant

Mobile:0086-18723002170

Email: 21394976@qq.com

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
418 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

I took the bus at cai yun ba bus station as recommended here in the forum for around 50 yuan. Then when I got to dazu non stop from chongquing 2 and half hours when u get out of the bus station turn right u will c the main road where there r plenty of taxi. U take the taxi to the dazu carving site for around 25 yuan. Before the taxi left I took his phone number ( sim card from china mobile is 50 yuan and u get 50 yuan credit) and told him I call him when done to pick me up when done sightseeing. To go in dazu carvings cost 138 yuan. When done I called taxi and he picked me up where he left me off and took me back to bus station where buses leave every half hour to chongquinv. From chongquin the bus leaves for dazu at 7:30. 8 and ten then 12. I caught the 10 bus and it left on time. Back and forth the travel expenses were 150 yuan. It's easy and is the way to go. From either direction the bus does not stop for toilet so make sure u go at the bus station toilets before u board bus.z have a great trip as I did and thanks to the guy who give me this info. I tip my hat to u.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi to daze carvings

You're welcome. From: the GAL who gave you this info. LOL! :-D

Definitely for a solo or couple traveling, RMB 150-160 for bus/taxi transportation to Dazu is better than RMB 800-1000 for private car, especially when the car only gets you to the Grottoes about 1/2 hour earlier than the bus/taxi.

Edited: 10:32 pm, May 28, 2012