We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Which Chongqing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Sorry for daft question. I am interested in taking a yangtse river cruise which either leaves from Yichang or from Chongqing. Havent decided which direction yet. How difficult is it finding your ship at these ports. One travel agent says it is very difficult and suggests a taxi transfer which is very expensive. Obvioulsy if it is going to be difficult I am not going to make myself crazy for $40 but on the other hand if its easy to handle alone I dont mind doing it as could find other uses for the money. There seems to be plenty of public transport to the ports. Has anyone got any experience with this.

thanks

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Sry, i am a little bit confused. I think this is it: If you depart from Yichang, the ship will start at evening. You will check into ship in advance in day time. Taxi to port is naturally easy to find.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

You are better to cruise from Chongqing. You go to the same places but take less time.

I too was worried about getting to the ship and arranged to be picked up at the airport and taken for a bit of a tour and then taken to the ship.

We would have been fine on our own, but of course luggage was a problem.

Contact whoever you are getting the tickets from and see what they propose. Or contact a company like China Highlights to arrange something.

If you arrive in Chongqing not too long before the cruise then take a taxi there. You should be able to get the name of the ship written down in Chinese.

The dock is of course on the river just past the very distinctive Opera House. It is a maze of ships and you will have to look for yours. It can also be a long climb down a lot of stairs to get to it, but there will be men there willing to carry your luggage for a price.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Hi Maryann. Did you use china highlights. They are offering the short cruise from Chongqing and I am also in touch with Wind Horse who are offering the slightly longer cruise, like you say a bit longer from Yichang. The shorter one is 4 star and the longer one is 5 star with only $50 dufferebce in price. They do offer a couple of more excursions. The bottom line is if it was an amazing experience

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

I did not use China Highlights, but I should have. I had arranged with an agent in Xi'an who got me train tickets to get the cruise tickets for the same excellent price as China Highlights. This did not work out too well.

China Highlights has a good reputation. Do a search to check.

The cruise was interesting and a nice break for us. Going downstream is faster (though the ship often went very slowly in order to time the excursions.)

There must be different ships to have on four star and another five star. We were on Victoria Empress and it is old but adequate - far from luxury, but the beds were good. I believe it is five star (Chinese standards!)

the cruise gave us a chance to see Chinese people and mix with them (very limited by language). The men played Mah Jong while the women went on the excursions.

The little three gorges are very scenic and interesting. The dam was hard to see in the rain and fog. Going through the locks the night before was mildly interesting.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Yes, it will be possible to make your own way. Get your taxi card from your tour agent. It is their responsibility to give you the address of the dock in Chinese so you can show it to the local taxi driver, whether you are in the official queue at the train station, at a hotel or elsewhere. Just demand it even if they appear reluctant or continue to hard sell the transfer option. I would settle this before you put down one sheqel.

One thing to avoid at all costs are illegal gypsy taxis, sometimes called black taxis, which are unlicensed and have a history of scamming customers by getting lost with the meter running or having a meter which is broken and doubles the fare. Frequently they will come up to you at a railway station and ask if they can help you with your luggage. Then they tell you a friend can take you where you want to go. Ha! More like take you and your wallet to the cleaners. Get in the official plainly marked line at the street exit of the train station.

Your agent is anxious to sell you as many extras as possible as their is a handsome commission on these, a big markup split by the local agent and the overall agent. A typical $50 transfer fee can cost around $10 in a taxi. They prey upon the fears of people going to China. Same reason they tell you that you cannot possibly do China on your own as you do not know Mandarin. Balderdash!

P.S. Most here report the boat trip to not be the best use of your precious time in China. You can see much better scenery in three days elsewhere, world class national parks and other fantastic rivers and mountains.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Hi Maryann China highlights are very attentive and I used them for train tickets. They do charge $14 delivery fee but what can you do. i have been quoted as much as $65 for transfer to the ship. It does seem like a lot. Sparky of course you are right and I have actually abandoned the cruise idea completely for now. I will be heading to Shanghai for a few days though and will have a couple of questions for you in the next day or two, although I have kept a few of your past postings for future reference.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Empirical evidence, just got back from a Yangze cruise. Yenzan to Chongqing. On the MV Blue Whale.

Once you get past the rocky road to embark, and past the fabulous chandelier and brand new carpets, prepare to meet ...a youth hostel.

The cabins were sparse, beds narrow and hard, roaches on the balcony, threadbare towels and bedding, the bathroom basic and the floors banged. Really. As you walked the floors moved and banged. No other way to put it.

All food buffet, no potable water.

Thankfully they had wine...at a price.

The scenery, the dams, were fabulous.

Forget the 'Ghost City Tour'. Man made nonsense, up 700 steps.

Do the pea boat trip.

Went with Just You and just survived.

Al the best with it.`

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Isn't the OP going on a Victoria ship? I hope so. The OP can take a taxi and give the driver the telephone number to the ship. It should be listed on the documents, if not get that number before leaving home. Then just give the paper to the taxi driver to call for a quick trip to the ship.

Yichang, Hubei
11 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

Whether you depart from Chongqing or Yichang, your travel agent would give you the documents about the cruise boarding instruction showing how you can get to the cruise docks, also with Chinese address on it so that you could show it to local taxi driver.

In Yichang, most cruises would depart from Xinshiji(New Century) Dock, which is a little bit remote from the downtown. So if you arrive in Yichang very late, it is suggested to have the transfer arranged by the travel agent. If you disembark the cruise in Yichang, it might be not that easy to find a taxi at the pier, and usually timer is not used when you take a taxi there.

20. Re: Yangtze river cruises - Finding the ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 31, 2012