We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Beijing

4 full days this week with a 7 year old

chicago
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Day 1- all day trip to simatai west

Day 2- temple of heaven, toy market, walk through Tiananmen, forbidden city for an hour and Jingshan park.

Day 3- lama temple, chaoyang park? It is too cold right now? Is the zip line open?

Open to suggestions or days 3 and 4.

Should we go to the zoo? I've heard the animals are very old.

Thank you.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
27,972 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Only 1 hr for Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City? Other suggestions: Summer Palace, Bell and Drum Tower.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
51,543 posts
918 reviews
519 helpful votes
2. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

All day on Simarai with a 7-year old. Big challenge.

I did not know that there was a zip line at Chaoyang park. Maybe it is something new.

chicago
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Just planning one hour for forbidden city. Maybe another hour for Tiananmen?

The all day trip is 3 hours driving each way and four hours there. So a 10 hour day.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
4. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Tiananmen really just takes 20 minutes. Unless you go in Mao's tomb or the National Museum on the edge, the square is just a big open swath of concrete. There's no benches or shade. It's not a very inviting place to spend time.

1hr for the Forbidden City is really pushing it. When we went, it was very crowded. And it's huge. It's a lot just to walk from end to end, maybe half a mile straight. Just getting in and through some of the choke points takes time. I would do this in the morning, then climb the hill in Jingshan park, then, if it is warm enough, walk down the hill to the west and across the street to Behai park. It's got a big lake with a hill you can explore. You can rent different types of boats to take out on the lake. I think it would be great for a kid.

We spent a good half day in Temple of Heaven. i would do that on a different day than the FC. It's a big park. There's a lot of people watching and it's pretty spread out. You could spend the morning and do something else in the afternoon.

I would dedicate a day to the Summer Palace. It's about a 45 minute ride from the FC on the subway, or you can take a taxi. it's really beautiful, another big park with hiking trails and a giant lake and islands with all sorts of buildings to explore. Some people spend an hour or two there. We spent close to 6 just meandering around. I thought it would be a great place for kids to explore.

We skipped the zoo because we heard it was depressing. We also spend time wandering the Dashilar and Lulicheng hutong area doing some shopping, but not sure if your 7 year old would find that interesting.

chicago
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Hi Wes. Funny to see you on China forum. That's for the excellent advice. We will do Tiananmen, FC and climb Jingshan and then see how much time is left. It's cold right now and dark at 5pm.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
6. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

I was thinking the same. We loved our trip this spring so if you need anything else, let me know or post here. I got lots of good advice from the regulars here.

chicago
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
7. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
11,021 posts
26 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

Any restaurant reco near FC?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
9. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

We ate lunch inside the FC. By dinner we were up by the drum tower so unfortunately, no. The place inside was ok for a quick lunch.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
141 reviews
83 helpful votes
10. Re: 4 full days this week with a 7 year old
Save

There is a lot to do for seven year old at the science centre. It's essentially in the same park as the major Olympic sites that can be toured in the same half day.