We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Beijing
Search

food preperation

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
food preperation
Save

hi,

my wife and I are looking at going to Beijing for a few days and I am just a concerned about seeing animals being stored/prepared for food. my wife is a veggie and really doesn't want to see any animals of any kind in cages/hung up or being prepared for food. do you have to go looking for these i.e. in food markets etc or is it happening on every street? if we stick to the touristy sites can it be avoided?

many thanks

F Bistronome - FB
$$ - $$$, French, European
The View 3912
$$$$, French, European, Contemporary
Steak House (Macau Center)
$$$$, Steakhouse, European, Contemporary
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
25 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: food preperation
Save

We visited Beijing in June for two weeks and spent a lot of time walking the streets and hutongs, but I can't recall any occasions where we saw this. I assume it's probably a common sight in the food markets, but we didn't visit any so I can't tell you for sure.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: food preperation
Save

You can probably avoid it. We did not see anything in near the major tourist sites. We stayed in a Hutong and saw people with tanks of turtles that we assumed were being sold for food. We visited a food market in Shanghai and definitely saw animals for sale including live fish, frogs in nets, and some skinned but otherwise whole animals, so I would avoid any food markets.

Also note, we did not go to Wangfujing which is popular with tourists. Supposedly it has a night tourist food market where you can get stuff like insects on a stick. I'd probably avoid that.

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
17,247 posts
64 reviews
105 helpful votes
3. Re: food preperation
Save

It is common to see roasted ducks hanging in restaurant windows, but not live animals, unless you are an explorer going deep into the residential wet markets, but you 2 don't seem the type anyway.

Mac
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: food preperation
Save

I am just astounded ar the op post. What kind of place do you think china is.. by the way did you ever hear about early studies that said vegetables had feelings and that there were definite and measureable changes in peas being boiled.. bet not and that was back in the 70's when that research came out... check it out.. vegetable rights and peace!! Humans are omnivores.

Mac
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: food preperation
Save

And wangfujing street, you can get bugs on a stick for lunch. Its notjust a night market and there is other food as well. Ok but expensive. The old beijing yougurt is known to be good stuff. Anyway good question. Is an insect meat? In thailand i have been to many bhuddist temple festivals with bugs in bag fulls. The monks eat them and they are vegetarian. I am puzzled because if so then your darling could chow down big time in wangfujing alley

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
27,972 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: food preperation
Save

Well, I can understand OP's concerns. However, don't they prepare animals for food in England? Aren't there butcher shops? Do you have chicken and other meats wrapped in cellophane in the grocery stores?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
7. Re: food preperation
Save

Yeah but they don't look like whole animals usually. Just cuts.

My wife is the same. Seeing a pack of chicken breasts is not as disturbing as a whole duck hanging in a window or live frogs in a net. I realize it doesn't make complete sense but it's a bit of if you dont see the whole animal you don't have to think about it.

Edited: 3 years ago
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
27,972 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: food preperation
Save

But surely there must be butcher shops in the UK where animals are not neatly cut up and wrapped.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
51,543 posts
918 reviews
519 helpful votes
9. Re: food preperation
Save

You'd have to really go out of your way to see this.

And part of traveling is to see different things.

With respect to the food place om Wangfujing referred to above in a few posrs, this place no longer exists.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
21,084 posts
127 reviews
77 helpful votes
10. Re: food preperation
Save

I'm sure there are butcher shops in the UK, and in the USA where I live, where animals are not already cut up. My wife for one will not go near one with a 10 foot pole so I know how the OP feels. I am sure they exist in the UK but the OP's wife refuses to go in them.