We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rol
philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

I'm going to see Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City on my own and my question is, can I walk from Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City?

Beijing
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

Yes,you can.you can walk through "Tiananmen Gate Tower,then through Duanmen,till Wumen,the south entrance of Forbidden City,then you can rent an audio guide ,it costs just RMB 40.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

Yes, definitely. If you look on a map of Beijing you'll see that the north side of Tiananmen Square is right up against the south side of Forbidden City. Or actually, if you have Google Earth, that would be a wonderful resource for this query. :)

los angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

The only thing that separates Tiananmen square from the forbidden city is Chang An boulevard.

Funny that it isn't that simple, though: When you see the scale of it all, you realize that's not an idle question. It's still a big distance. Plus, you can't cross the street at street-level. You go downstairs, through an underpass that crosses under the street to cross.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

oh yes - it's just across the road

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

I hope you are going to take a good map with you or a guide book or something!!

The audio guide by the way was awful. It didn't work properly and was informing us about the wrong locations inside the Forbidden City. Not very high tech. A waste of time. Maybe we were unlucky but it maybe worthwhile writing another forum question to find out if others had the same problem.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

As everyone has said, it is just across the road, but you need to go under Chang An Ave (its very well signposted) we had a guide within the forbidden city...but the lonely planet book is also excellent

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

xiantraveller, it might've been because you were walking around in the "wrong" direction ie not the direction that the audio guide was laid out in. The audio guide should work fine if you enter from the south and exit from the north.

8. Re: Tiananmen Square to Forbidden City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, August 19, 2009