We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

can anyone recommend a great market for souviner shopping, we are looking at going on oct 10th, our free day?

As well, do we just take a taxi from the hotel? Will we be able to get home again, or should we hire a taxi for the day?We are staying at the Presidential plaza? Or should we

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

Panjiayuan (also called the dirt market) is best, but is only on weekends. Otherwise, Hongshao is good for souvenirs. You can easily take a taxi there and get another on the street--no need to hire a car for the day.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

The Hong Qiao market, Silk Market, and Ya Xiu Market are great for souvenirs, especially fake DVD's! Yes, the best way to get to any of them is to take a taxi.

California
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

I agree. Those markets are great for souvenirs, as well as all kinds of other stuff. Stock up on the DVDs!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

The markets are great fun for fakes but be prepared for a lot of hassle, the worst one is the silk market, the women grab at you if you so much as look their way, fortunately not the men. The other two markets, Hongqiao and I can't remember the name of the other are slightly more relaxed!!! Just stick to your max figure whatever they say and they will be very reluctant to let you walk away!! I've been this morning and it is hot and exhausting. Also remember that non of the taxi drivers will speak or understand any English, so get your hotel to write where you are going in Chinese - I have had some difficulty getting taxis to stop on the street and I have found the best thing to do is go into the nearest hotel, use the loos!!! and then ask them to get you a taxi-they have no problems. I also can tell you that today for the first time in 8 days in China I actually saw the sky, the pollution is pretty bad.

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

Just another little tip to add to my earlier post-before you leave the stall when you have bought something, look in the bag they give you, I bought 3 silk scarves which were put into a bag, whilst I was putting my purse away securely and my eyes off what was going on, two scarves were taken out!!!!! Didn't discover the switch till I got back to the hotel-too late!!!! So be warned it is great fun but be on your guard every moment.

6. Re: Best market for souviners in Beijing? Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 19, 2009