We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Great Wall

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
The Great Wall

Hello I hope you can help me a bite. I am planing af trip to The Great Wall during my stay in Beijing, But it is difficult for me to decide which part of the Great Wall me, my child and husband shall visit. I really hope for some help. We would like to see some beautiful landscape of the wall :)

And how fare away from Beijing is it - and how many hours you we use their ?

Tx. you so much for your help

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Great Wall

Read the first item under top questions on the right side of this page.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Great Wall

Mutianyu, by private car 1.5hrs each way.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Great Wall

Mutianyu and Badaling are two well-known Great Wall sections in Beijing. The Badaling section has more tourists than Mutianyu. Both have good landscape.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Great Wall

Yes there are a lot of different sections.

Mutianyu section would be best, hiring your own car & driver is not expensive. Its a much more interesting part of the wall compared to Badaling & less busy.

Once you get tp Mutianyu you need to walk from the car park and get a cable car up onto the wall. The first one you will come to is a ski lift style. Dont use that one.

Keep walking and you will come to an enclosed gondola style that will take you to a higher part of the wall ( tower 14).

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Great Wall

Do any of you know what the name is of the wall near tianjin - and is it a good place to see the wall. It is because we are planing to visit family in tianjin :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,230 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Great Wall

Not really. As far as I know, it is in the opposite direction.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Great Wall

The Great Wall of China have many parts in Beijing and each part is situated in different counties such as Yanqing, Huairou and Miyun. I will list the most representative parts for your reference.

1. From Beijing airport to Mutianyu Great Wall, the distance is around 66 km/41 miles, 1 hour’s drive.

2. From Beijing airport to Juyongguan Great Wall, the distance is around 61 km/38 miles, 1 hour’s drive.

3. From Beijing airport to Badaling Great Wall, the distance is around 73 km/46 miles, 1.5 hours’ drive

Anyway, the distance between Beijing airport and the Great Wall is within your reach even if you have only limited time during transit in Beijing.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Great Wall

Who said anything about being in transit?

romkuglen, I think you are referring to Huangyaguan - travelchinaguide.com/china_great_wall/scene/… which, as JP suggests, is actually nowhere near Tianjin city.

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: The Great Wall

How much should we pay to hire a car and driver? And how do you book it?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Great Wall

Depends what for. Contact the driver. There are some reviews here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294212-Activiti…