We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway with Large Suitcase

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Subway with Large Suitcase

Hi,

I was planning on using the airport shuttle and the taking 2 subway lines to get to my hostel in Beijing, from PEK. I will have a large hardcase wheelie suitcase and a backpack.

Will I be OK using the subway? Getting through turnstiles etc...

I am quite comfortable using public transport, I have used it in other places before...but never been to Beijing.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,044 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

They don't have turnstiles, it is a gate that opens. so this is not an issue (search videos in Youtube). However, depending on time of day, it may be very very crowded. Even crowded for someone with no suitcase. See how full the platform is after the train leave. imagine with a suitcase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZDxRXL-qw

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

Using the subway is a PIA with a suitcase, especially a large one.

Its not a problem entering & exiting, as its a small gate that opens ( rather than a turnstyle).

The main problem is getting your case up & down escalators and stairs between platforms and if the train is full, ie peak hour ( Everyone is Kung Fu fighting ♫♫ lol).

If you are using the Airport Express to Dongzhimen to transfer to another line, that will be busy as its a changing station for 3 lines. It really depends on what time you think you will be using the subway ? If you are by yourself it is a lot cheaper than having to get a taxi tho.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

Yes it will just be me. I was wanting to save on costs.

My flight lands at PEK at 920am, so I'd be on the subway after however long it takes me to clear customs etc...

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

That time wouldn't be rush hour but the subway can be busy anyway. Where is your hostel - maybe there is a shuttle bus that goes near?

As stated above, it's the going up and down that is cumbersome for anyone with heavy luggage as lifts or escalators are not always available.

(I like the musical notes, Annie!)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

( Thank you Qup, sung in my very best Beijing Opera cat strangling voice hehe).

Thats out of peak time, that good. As Qup says the shuttle bus is also an option if it goes near where you are staying. You can find the routes on the Capital airport website: http://en.bcia.com.cn/traffic/airbus/

Or here: travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/tran…

Edited: 8:48 pm, March 30, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Capital Airport
Capital Airport
Beijing, China
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

I've done this sort of thing with smaller suitcases and it is okay, but the problem really is the stairs. This could get quite tiring and I really wouldn't recommend it.

You could take the airport express and then get a taxi or take one of the Airport shuttle buses, which might get closer to your hostel. This is probably the best compromise of price and convenience. Taxis in China are still rather reasonably priced, especially compared to the UK. Even taking a taxi from the airport directly would probably cost you around ten pounds.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
280 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

If you are only dragging one wheely bag, and able to wear the other, then the actual logistics of carrying the bags won't be an issue for you. Nor will the subway stations, which are all quite modern and efficient and well staffed.

The biggest issue is that you are changing lines. Some of the transfers between lines involve long walking distances underground between stations - and generally they only have escalators going upwards between platforms and stations - not down, where you will be expected to use the stairs - which could pose problems if your wheely bag is big and heavy as some of the stairways are extensive. Some platforms have elevators at their ends which you could seek out.

You probably won't be on the train until close to 11am anyway, so rush hour won't be a problem.

I suggest that you post the destination station you want to get to, so that someone can recommend the easiest transfer station for you if there is more than one transfer option.

Alternatively, as suggested by travellevret, you could take the Airport Express the bulk of the way into the city, and then go by taxi instead of changing to the subway. Taxis are pretty cheap, but if you do take this option, make sure you get a taxi that will use its meter. Most taxis in Beijing do, but there are a lot of "black" taxi drivers that wait at the exit of the Airport Express that want to negotiate a fare price - usually far in excess of the meter price. Refuse to use them, and take a metered cab.

Edited: 4:54 am, March 31, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

I will check out the shuttle bus.

I am staying at the Beijing Downtown Backpackers hostel.

Google Maps reccomends taking the Airport Express, Subway 10 then 6 and getting off at Nanluoguxiang and walking.

Mentioned in this post
Beijing Subway
Beijing Subway
1,339 Reviews
Beijing, China
Nanluoguxiang
Nanluoguxiang
1,142 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

Google maps is right but I'm not sure of the ease of line transfers. Going the other way you can take line 10 to Beitucheng, which has escalators, and change to line 8 for Nanluoguxiang, which has a lift.

Mentioned in this post
Nanluoguxiang
Nanluoguxiang
1,142 Reviews
Beijing, China
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway with Large Suitcase

I found this on hostelworld: "Taking a bus, though By bus:Take airport express to DongZhiMen (25rmb). Then take bus 107 to Bao Chao Hutong, which is the 6th stop (1rmb). When you get off the bus, cross the road and start walking in the direction that the bus came from. You need to look out for a turning on your right which is Nan Luo Gu Xiang. The hostel is a 3-4 minute walkdown this busy Hutong street and is situated on the right hand side."

I don't think the airport buses will get closes than Dongzhimen or Dongshisitiao. I can't say I'd love hauling luggage on a public bus, either, but it's probably be a bit better than trying to deal with all of those subway transfers.

Also, the hostelworld blurb also says this hostel offers free airport transfers if you will stay five or more nights.