We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting of wheelchair

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
renting of wheelchair

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Beijin bring along my mother-in-law. She has difficulty in walking and will not be able to enjoy the walk at Greatwall, Forbiden city etc. Are these places accessible by Wheel chair? If so, will I be able to rent a wheel chair at reasonable price in China?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting of wheelchair

The Great Wall isn't accessible - you could only view from afar. Someone recently mentioned having someone push a wheelchair around the Forbidden City for ¥50 an hour. I'm not sure it's fully accessible though.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting of wheelchair

China surely is one of the least wheelchair-friendly countries. So don`t set your expectations too high.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting of wheelchair

I had to read the post of Zhenlei a few times. But is really there. A statement that it is accessible!!!!

But the answer is simple. No, most places are not accessible or very difficult. Yes, you can hire people to more or less cary you around. But the last will be a hassle.

Guilin, China
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: renting of wheelchair

I ever organized short stay tour for seniors who sit on wheelchairs too. I would like to share my experience. Some standard hotels (four and five, even three star) provide free wheelchair renting for their clients only need to pay the deposit and make sure the wheelchair is not broken when returning it.

Sitting on wheelchair to visit forbidden city, summer palace is not a problem, just pushing slowly. It's a little difficult to visit the Great Wall. But car can drive directly to the entrance of Juyongguan Great Wall without walking. The ground is flat and good for pushing wheelchair. But when you enter it, your mother-in-law still need walking. Or she can just finish her tour at the foot of the wall without climbing. The stairs of Juyongguan is very steep and no cable car.

You can contact me if you still have questions.

5. Re: renting of wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 19, 2015