We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Subway Fare Questions

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Some Subway Fare Questions

Hi. I have a few questions regarding the subway costs. First, do you need to pay an additional fare when transferring lines? Second, is the cost the same for all lines and all destinations? What is the current fare to ride the subway? Last, is there a daily or weekly pass that can be purchased? If so, where can you purchase?

Thank you in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

1- no

2- yes

3- 2RMB

4- no

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

You can by a prepaid card that you can charge. Fares are cheaper using that, but if you are only there for a short tie do not bother with that. At the end you can not get a refund at all places.

You ca buy tickets at machines, that can be switched to an English menu. Lowest bill is 5rmb and it accepts coins. but you can also go to the counter. Give money and stick up fingers for the number of tickets you want.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

Bus fares are cheaper with a card but not subway fares. We are anticipating that the subway flat fare system will soon be overhauled but I've heard no definite plans as yet.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

You mean they will introduce some sort of zoning system like in London?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

Yes, using a zoned fare system similar to what Shanghai now has was supposed to be put into place after the Olympics concluded, but for various reasons did not happen. The hardware is already in place to make this a reality. My best guess is that given Beijing's seriously worsening traffic situation between 2008 and the present, they decided that Beijingers needed all possible incentives (cheap fares) to use public transport and not cars. But the government subsidies needed to keep the RMB 2 flat fare in place are probably no longer viable with operational costs rising.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

I'll be in Beijing for 5 days and plan to use the subway everyday. I don't plan on buying the prepaid card but I'm wondering when I go to the machine to buy a ticket, can I just pay 20rmb and get a paper ticket that I can reuse for 10 trips?

Or can you only buy single use 2rmb tickets each time?

I'm assuming this is similar to SFrancisco where you put the paper ticket into a slot, go through the turnstile then retrieve your ticket with the remaining balance after you walk through the turnstile?

Thanks in advance.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

No. Single journey only ~ see the Travel Article about Public Transportation.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

The tickets that you buy are only good for departures from that station. So do not buy ahead.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

Wow! Thanks for that bit of info. I was prepared to purchase multiple tickets! If you know you will depart from a particular station, can you purchase in advance? Or do you have to purchase the same day?

Edited: 10:37 pm, March 16, 2014
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Subway Fare Questions

Should be able to purchase for same day from same station. But not really much point. I usually advise people who are going to be in Beijing for at least 3-4 days AND using the subway system extensively, to just do the prepaid card thing; it really saves a lot of aggravation. The card costs RMB 20 (refundable when you turn it in at end of your stay) then you can add stored value--usually RMB 20 is a good number to cover a few days' stay, maybe RMB 40 for a week's stay. Excess stored value isn't refundable, so don't overload. Many travelers don't bother refunding the card, they just give to a worthy-looking Chinese at the Beijing airport or train station before they head out. This prepaid card can be used for rides on the Airport Express (RMB 25 each way) if it has enough stored value.

Edited: 12:38 am, March 17, 2014