We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China first timer

WEST YORKSHIRE
12 posts
Save Topic
China first timer

Hello everybody, i am planning a trip to china in october, can anyone advise where to visit? i was interested in shanghai & beijing, is any 1 place better to stay? also how long & best way to travel to & from each city & cost. Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China first timer

hi Shizzle

We did a few days in Beijing late June and for all the sights

The Wall, Forbidden City Summer Palace Tianem Square etc

it was fantastic. We did the wall at the Baldaling area, it is truely

awesome. We found Beijing very clean and we really enjoyed what we saw. All our time was pretty much taken up with the sightseeing so didnt get out and about a great deal although when we did go for a walk from the hotel, (swissotel, great hotel, and new beer garden which was much appreciated after a hard days sightseeing!!) we didnt have any problems at all, its nice and flat to wander round but its vast. Taxis are very cheap, as was gifts and things. We spoke to

a few people who had been to Shanghai (if we go east again it will be to Shanghai) and they were very happy, i get the impression its more cosmopolitan than Beijing. We probably would not return as we have seen what we wanted to see, but would recommend it for the sights it was great, and I must see place if only for a few days.

We used Kuoni for our taylor made trip (beijing H.kong S.pore) others we met had used Trail finders. Please do go and have

a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: China first timer

Shanghai is more of a modern city than a tourist city. Maybe worth a short visit. Other places I liked - Nanjing, Souzhou, Xian, and Guilin. Distances are far, regarding the last two, so flying is recommended. Plenty to see in Beijing, though.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China first timer

It just depends on what you want to do. I lived in Beijing and have not been to Shanghai, but have friends who visited. If you want to see more of China's traditional culture, then Beijing is your place. It is the country's "cultural seat" as I like to call it. From what I've heard about Shanghai, is much more modern and cosmopolitan. Many people speak English there, and there are plenty of western type eating and drinking and shopping establishments.

As far as traveling between the two cities you can train it or plane it. A train ride will take, oh, somewhere around 20 hours or more, I think? (someone correct me if I am way off). Train is much cheaper than a plane, but I couldn't tell you exactly how much. Flying will obviously be shorter, but will cost you more like 1000 RMB or more perhaps (train could be half that). The train is certainly an experience though. I took one from Beijing down to the Yangzte which was a long ride. But I met some nice people and saw some interesting things. Just depends on what your looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guilin of China
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: China first timer

the best way is by air if you want to save your money by train is good choice. you can visit guilin for the karst landscape.

Beijing
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: China first timer

All the places need to see in Bejing is like the book and others said,except this you need to see the hutong where the common people's living area.

You need to spend few days in shanghai,no for shanghai but to see the other nearby cities,such as hangzhou,suzhou,i went there last month.

You could take sofe sleep overnight train from Beijng to shanghai,but sometimes discount airplane tickets is almost the same money as the train,you need to do research if you like to do this

6. Re: China first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 12, 2009