We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

Which is the best time to go to Beijing? We only have two options: Mar 16-23 or Nov. 19-26.

This travel website that I came across says that the autumn months between September and November have the best weather. But ave. temp. in Nov. is 3.8 Deg. Cel and it's the onset of the winter season.

The same website also says that spring is less pleasant because it's windy and dusty although ave. temp is slightly higher at 4.8 deg. cel. My husband has a mild asthma so I'm kinda having second thoughts about going in March.

Can anyone pls. put it in perspective for us. We're coming in from a tropical climate (phils.) and we've yet to experienced temp, below 5 deg. cel.

thanks.

Minden/Beijing
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

I live in Beijing part of each year and would suggest November. March is a little cool and can be very windy with major dust storms. Air pollution can be very severe in March and I have seen days when visibility is limited to just a few blocks. Many people wear surgical masks to prevent spreading colds and to filter out pollution on bad days, so that might be something to bring for the occasional outside trip on a polluted day.

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

I know a Bian Shoemaker with a bad case of allergies, is that you Natalie.

Go to nanjing instead, read about it, there is as much history as Beijing, International Airport, and I would choose March to see the spring flowers and the lakes.

Nanjing has Mountains, forrest, lakes and 5,000 years of history, it has been the capital of China 4 times, sometimes called Nanking.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

HLJTeacher, that was a very good tip to bring surgical masks. Thanks. Does that kind of condition also occur during April?

BundBNB, no, this is not Natalie. But thanks also for your reply.

We're also going to Guilin (4 nights) then to Shanghai, Xian then finally to Beijing. Is that IT ok? Actually we have 5 nights to spend after Guilin and before Beijing and we're initially thinking of splitting it between. Shanghai and Xian. But we're open to suggestions.

We're also looking for a place to stay in Shanghai. Any recommendations? Can we take the train to Shanghai from Guilin? My asthmatic husband hates airports.

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

TheShoemakers

Hi I live in Guangzhou and I would suggest November as the best of the two options for Beijing for all of the reasons mentioned here by other people. It really does not get cold in Beijing untill the killing rains of early Winter which normally fall end of Novenber and mark the onset of true Winter.

Two years ago I was wearing shirtsleeves during the day in Beijing in the second week of November and a light jumper at night. Went to a restaurant with friends locals who were dressed in a manner similar to mine and when we left it was snowing so it depends on the vargaries of the weather. Two days later it was warm again during the day but the nights were 10 degrees celcius which is way different to farenheight

Lucky

Good luck Phil

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

I would agree with most of what has been said so far. I lived in Beijing for a year, and feel that March was not as enjoyable as November. Coming out of winter, the city just doesn't look its best. From what I remember though, November did feel a bit cold to me. I remember wearing a sweater and light coat around Thanksgiving time (Nov. 24ish). I grew up in a subtropical climate (Florida in the US) though, so I could have just been unprepared. Despite that, I would go in Nov. You won't have to worry about the dust storms.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Beijing
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

November

March will have wind storm

7. Re: Best time to go to Beijing: mid-Nov or mid-March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 12, 2009